Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing v belt on grizzly table saw

Just a question; Is it possible that there is some sawdust or chips packed in somewhere that is keeping the motor from moving far enough to give the slack you need?

What William says. Or can the bolt that locks the motor for tensioning the belts be removed to get more travel from the motor? I'm confused on the statement that you can roll one belt on but not the others. Using this technique if it rolls onto the first groove it should't be a problem to step it back to the furthest inside groove.Then repeat with the second and third belts.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 10-07-2018 at 4:48 PM.

Make sure to loosen the lower nut on the motor mount plate to completely de-tension the motor. Move the motor upwards and then tighten the nut so the motor weight does not cause it to sag downwards and apply tension to the belts. You can easily remove all 3 belts that way. The set screws on the arbor sheave on my Shop Fox W1820 (aka Grizzly G0691) loosened and I had to remove the belts to tighten up the set screws, and that's how I did it.

a few things to consider

1. You may have pulleys that can run 3/8" belts or 1/2" belts. If so you will need more than 1/2" of motor movement to install.

2. Two of 1/2" belts would be plenty to replace three 3/8" belts but the size would be bigger. Also since the pulley on the arbor is usually at the absolute minimum functional diameter 1/2" belts may not work out well.

3. You may be doing something wrong if you have only 1/2" of adjustment. Maybe that is from the midpoint to the shortest point. If there is room to extend past your previous operating point you will definitely be ok with 26" belts. Try 26" and it will probably work out fine.

4. To get more movement, just loosen the motor mount bolts till the motor can move further.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    a few things to consider

1. You may have pulleys that can run 3/8" belts or 1/2" belts. If so you will need more than 1/2" of motor movement to install.
    The stock sheaves are designed for metric SPZ section belts. The belt the G069x series uses is the SPZ 625, which is 10 mm (0.39") wide, 8 mm (0.31") deep, and 625 mm (24.6") long.

2. Two of 1/2" belts would be plenty to replace three 3/8" belts but the size would be bigger. Also since the pulley on the arbor is usually at the absolute minimum functional diameter 1/2" belts may not work out well.
    You would need to replace the motor and arbor sheaves, and due to the small diameter of the arbor sheave, use cogged 4L or A section belts if you want to run a 1/2" wide belt on these saws.

3. You may be doing something wrong if you have only 1/2" of adjustment. Maybe that is from the midpoint to the shortest point. If there is room to extend past your previous operating point you will definitely be ok with 26" belts. Try 26" and it will probably work out fine.
    There is only about 1/2" of vertical adjustment in the motor due to how the motor mount is designed. The motor mount has two bolt holes. The upper one is a standard round bolt hole that serves as a pivot, and the lower one is semicircular that allows the motor to move up and down relative to the trunnion. There is about 1/2" of vertical travel.

4. To get more movement, just loosen the motor mount bolts till the motor can move further.
    That is only true if there is any binding preventing full range of travel. As above, there isn't a bunch of travel, but in my experience, there is enough to get the belts on and off as I have done so on that saw.

I see this thread is a bit old but have you tried warming up the belts a bit say in a bucket of hot water or carefully with a heat gun? Might try some lubrication that can be cleaned off after?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ader View Post
    Hi all. I'm replacing the 3 v-belts on my grizzly G0690 cabinet saw. I ordered the belts from Grizzly after they confirmed the correct size of the part.

The issue I have is I cannot get the belts on both pulleys following the owners manual instructions for detensioning the existing belts. Anyone have this problem? There is a bolt to loosen that allows the motor to move up about a half inch. I have done that I still can't get the new belts on ANY of the 3 positions.

I sent an email to Grizzly asking the same but haven't heard back yet. Any tricks, tips, or something I am overlooking is appreciated.

Mark

Hopefully the OP hasn’t been scratching his head over this for the past year.

Maybe he just bought a new table saw.

Blog Entries
    Remove the bolt completely ad you can probably get enough movement to get the belts on.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute