Thread: Sung to tune of...

Sung to tune of...

I fought the Law and the Law won.

I fought the log and the log won.

I was turning a nice flamey Box Elder into a tall bowl, and had a catch on the inside. The piece about 9" long and 8" diameter flew off of the Nova G3 chuck (tenon mounted), hit the toolrest, then my upper left arm. I new it was going to leave a mark, but had other things to do, like referee 2 soccer games in 90 degree temperatures. This morning it hurt and I noticed a nice blank and blue contusion about 3" long and 2" wide on my arm. Luckily I was not in the direct line of fire; but, unluckily the toolrest changed the path of the projectile.

I'll post pictures of the bowl, and the bruise tonight. This box elder is gorgeous. The most dramatic wood I've yet turned.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Yikes, I'm glad you were not seriously injured. I bet that will be sore for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I fought the Law and the Law won.

I fought the log and the log won.

I was turning a nice flamey Box Elder into a tall bowl, and had a catch on the inside. The piece about 9" long and 8" diameter flew off of the Nova G3 chuck (tenon mounted), hit the toolrest, then my upper left arm. I new it was going to leave a mark, but had other things to do, like referee 2 soccer games in 90 degree temperatures. This morning it hurt and I noticed a nice blank and blue contusion about 3" long and 2" wide on my arm. Luckily I was not in the direct line of fire; but, unluckily the toolrest changed the path of the projectile.

I'll post pictures of the bowl, and the bruise tonight. This box elder is gorgeous. The most dramatic wood I've yet turned.

Hopefully, I can learn from my mistakes. This one to remember - when hollowing, do not have the tool rest on an angle to the side of the wood. That's what caused the deflection when the piece came loose.

0827182020_resized.jpg Bruise
    0827181724_Burst01_resized.jpg0827181724_resized.jpg

At least the color of the wood is more dramatic than the bruise. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    At least the color of the wood is more dramatic than the bruise. Be careful.
    The bruise picture was taken yesterday, and the bruise is even bigger today. Lesson learned.

Be careful, unless you cover that bruise with a sealer and UV protective finish and keep it away from direct sunlight, the deep purples/blues will fade away in a matter of time!

In all seriousness, I hope you heal quickly!

Jim

Maybe I should roll up my sleeves, so the light can get to it and make it fade;-> Thanks, yes, and bad things can happen very quickly, so all, read and heed.

Just this morning, I was doing some general chores around the house. Mrs. suddenly started shrieking that I was bleeding all over the floor. I looked and indeed, blood was dripping off my right arm. Seems I cut my forearm. I have no idea what happened. I never felt it and still don't. I became a bit worried and started sticking my arm to test sensation, everything seems fine so far.

Perry: I hope all is well, now. It's tough when you get hurt and don't know it. It's happened to be me, but I have a genetic delayed adrenaline reaction. 5 minutes after something happens I freak out.

OK - well, I've got the first of many Box Elder vessels near completion. And, I started to slather on MinWax Antique Oil Finish (mistake?), about 3 coats so far. MinWax ON, wipe off excess after a few minutes. It seems to be building, and keeping the color intact, but I keep the lights off and shades closed in the shop. I cannot remember if I ever used this stuff before for woodturnings, so will it build up so I can shine it? Can I put polyurethane over it to gloss it? Does it afford and UV protection for the Box Elder colors?

One day I sliced a bit of the tip of a finger off with a chisel. I didn't even feel it. So I rushed into the house and said to my wife, "Honey i think I've finally gotten pretty good at sharpening my tools!"

Sometimes I don't think she has much of a sense of humor at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Just this morning, I was doing some general chores around the house. Mrs. suddenly started shrieking that I was bleeding all over the floor. I looked and indeed, blood was dripping off my right arm. Seems I cut my forearm. I have no idea what happened. I never felt it and still don't. I became a bit worried and started sticking my arm to test sensation, everything seems fine so far.
    RD