Thread: Vintage doors

Vintage doors

My client salvaged these prior to the wrecking ball. They were in a brownstone type building in Allentown Pa. pet shop.
    He fitted them up as doors for a linen closet in his new bathroom . He started to try and strip them , hit them in areas with a belt sander until he gave up and called me.
    i was able to strip them. Do some repairs. And using toners adjust the colors from the raw bare wood to the stripped areas. Naturally the exterior side was heavily weathered compared to the interior side but he’s thrilled with the outcome. I sealed what is left of the printing to stop more paint from wearing and flaking off.
    For reference they’re 9’ tall x 4 1/2’ wide
    The Woodworking Studio

Another excellent job!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Thank you again Jim. I appreciate it.
    The Woodworking Studio

White oak, maybe? Whatever the wood, you did another amazing job though personally I would prefer a lower sheen. You saved them from the woodstove to be sure.

John

I did kill off the gloss by buffing with a 3m finishing pad. I too am not a fan of high gloss but in some cases clients do want it.
    Thanks !
    The Woodworking Studio

Nice job Mark!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thank you.
    The Woodworking Studio