Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we still teaching algebra?

Whether it is used is certainly an advantage.

Its another example of just teaching people to think and reason for themselves.
    Aubrey Blalock

Trotec Speedy 400 80W
    CAMaster Panther 4x4
    Several Powermatic & Festool

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    To begin, I didn't say anything about moving the 5 to the other side, the puzzle said that!

Second, my calculation to get at the answer uses simple SUBTRACTION! Which for some reason doesn't get drilled into kids heads in school like addition and multiplication... example, off the top of your head, who here doesn't know what 7x9=, 6x8=, 3x5= --- or 2+2 or 5+8, etc... but how many of us have to THINK was 8-5 is, or 9-3, or 7-4? Easy enough, but me, I don't have subtraction memorized like addition or multiplication, simply because I was taught my basic addition, and then came the times-tables until they were second nature (and still are!) But while they taught us how to subtract, we were never taught to memorize any 'minus tables', at least not in my time ('72 grad)...

My whole point here, is that I think a kid would likely find it much easier to understand that figuring out what X is involves nothing more than subtracting 5 from 12, and ESPECIALLY if kids had basic subtraction memorized. Maybe kids know subtraction better these days, I don't know, but what I do know is x=12-5 \ =7 makes perfect sense, but x= x+5-5=12-5 \ x+0=7 \ x=7 is complete nonsense!
    Its called an EQUATION. Both sides are equal. To keep this true, whatever is done to one side of the equation needs to be done to the other or you have an inequality. Thus, you must subtracr 5 from BOTH sides of that equation. You, and most everyone, forgets that, and skips proper accounting.

I have used algebra all my life as a scientist. Lots of solving for x in making many different solutions and other routine things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I use algebraic formulae every single day at work. It makes life simpler. Now the 4 semesters of calculus and one of differential equations are a different story. I haven't used those since I graduated engineering school.
    I use calculus occasionally, but haven't even looked at a differential equation in 45 years. I sometimes wonder if I could get it back with a little effort.

Wade, I am convinced that the most one can hope for is to understand differential equations temporarily. I did, one summer, long ago, now its gone forever.

Differential equations are SOOO derivative.

I have heard that the rate of understanding of differential equations diminishes exponentially with time, but I can't remember the exact equation.

Blog Entries
    It wasn't until I took college physics and engineering courses that differential equations actually started making some sense and could actually be used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Differential equations are SOOO derivative.

I have heard that the rate of understanding of differential equations diminishes exponentially with time, but I can't remember the exact equation.
    Maybe it's just integral to the aging process that the rate of comprehension will approach zero.

As an engineer, I have used algebra my entire career. To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    As an engineer, I have used algebra my entire career. To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.

That's a great point.

Rather than dump any kind of instruction perhaps things could be taught in entirely different ways. A story in yesterday's paper was about a program that uses music to get kids excited about math. They found it worked better than they expected, changing kids who said they hated math, the school programs were dumb, and they didn't want to go to collage. Several weeks later some of the same kids are saying they love math (pre-algebra), it's their favorite subject. They plan to use these concepts to improve methods of learning and help kids to realize their potential. So many just give up.

I still don’t understand why the OP seems to hate math so much. And why his grandson who is in college is taking algebra.

I vote we buy him this hat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A professor from the mid west was held at the airport while carrying a protractor and compass...weapons of math instruction.
    A new terrorist cell is having problems recruiting in America. Loyal Americans tremble at it's name, Al Ge Bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I still don’t understand why the OP seems to hate math so much. And why his grandson who is in college is taking algebra.

I vote we buy him this hat.
    I'm in. Where do we send our $?

Although in my case, I use algebra, I love calculus.

I suspect the OP is overwhelmed by how seriously his post was taken. It struck me as simply wry humor.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.
    I've been meaning to ask you about that...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.