Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we still teaching algebra?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why are we still teaching algebra?

When was the last time you used algebra? I got C's and D's in algebra but aced geometry which I use all the time while wood working. The grandson has a five year degree from Purdue in food science and had to take endless algebra, trig, and calculus classes. He holds several patents. I asked him when was the last time he used algebra. He just gave me a blank look. Told me he had several thousand dollars wrapped up in books and classes in those subjects.

So, we mostly did away with shop class and home economics and now a lot of people can't change a light bulb or car tire, but we still retain algebra classes in high school. Maybe it just one of those hoops you have to jump through to qualify for the next higher level.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    I got C's and D's in algebra but aced geometry which I use all the time while wood working.
    Debates about "Is ...such and such...useful" involve the question of whether so-and-so knows ways to use them. We tend to use things we are good at using. You could also ask the general population "When was the last time you had to use a table saw?".

When was the last time you used algebra?
    It was the last time I had to figure out something involving geometry - because I don't figure out geometric things by making scale drawings. I draw sketches and use algebra and trigonmetry to figure out the unknowns.

I use algebraic formulae every single day at work. It makes life simpler. Now the 4 semesters of calculus and one of differential equations are a different story. I haven't used those since I graduated engineering school.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I use algebraic formulae every single day at work. It makes life simpler. Now the 4 semesters of calculus and one of differential equations are a different story. I haven't used those since I graduated engineering school.
    ROFLMAO!!! True then add in Tensor math and LaPlace and I really do understand why Cast Iron is used for table saw and how it damps vibrations because of the crystal structure...

Now the 4 semesters of calculus and one of differential equations are a different story. I haven't used those since I graduated engineering school.
    I use algebraic principles all the time and I expect many do without even knowing it. However, I have not used Diffy Qs since my exam on them, I think I mave have used calculus a couple of times but it is extremely rare.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Why do doctors learn calculus and similar? So that they can calculate dosage. Reality, they do not calculate dosage, they look at a chart created by someone else who knows calculus. OK, the resesarchers probably do it themselves.
    The knowledge math could likely set off an alarm in a doctor's mind if a chart had a misprint or typo.

As was mentioned earlier it helps students to learn how to use their brain as much as it teaches a useful tool.

But is is not practical to teach every subject in extreme depth.
    True, should we let bureaucrats decide when to direct students away from the path of higher learning to a path of low on the ladder wage slave for the rest of their lives?

Math skills come in handy in everything from shopping for groceries and planning meals to paying bills and home maintenance.

Reading, writing and arithmetic are the foundation of all education. With a meager beginning of engaging the human mind with the "three Rs" all else can be explored, learned and put to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Math skills come in handy in everything from shopping for groceries and planning meals to paying bills and home maintenance.
    And making life decisions based on more than hope. Math came in handy when I was trying to decide when to retire - for a given expected lifetime, for a given retirement age what is the break-even age considering a reduced income and the trade-off between reduced work-related expenses vs estimated increased avocational expenses, also considering the private insurance and Medicare numbers. After careful calculations I decided to retire at age 56. Best decision I ever made (besides the choice of life partner!)

JKJ

I use calculus occasionally, but haven't even looked at a differential equation in 45 years. I sometimes wonder if I could get it back with a little effort.

Wade, I am convinced that the most one can hope for is to understand differential equations temporarily. I did, one summer, long ago, now its gone forever.

Differential equations are SOOO derivative.

I have heard that the rate of understanding of differential equations diminishes exponentially with time, but I can't remember the exact equation.

Blog Entries
    It wasn't until I took college physics and engineering courses that differential equations actually started making some sense and could actually be used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Differential equations are SOOO derivative.

I have heard that the rate of understanding of differential equations diminishes exponentially with time, but I can't remember the exact equation.
    Maybe it's just integral to the aging process that the rate of comprehension will approach zero.

As an engineer, I have used algebra my entire career. To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.
    I've been meaning to ask you about that...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    As an engineer, I have used algebra my entire career. To me, that question is the same as asking why we still teach people to read.
    My thoughts ran along the same lines. I was kind of shocked to read the original post and found it hard to imagine anyone that managed to attain any level of mastery of algebra didn't find it useful in their daily life.