Thread: New SawStop Fence Question

New SawStop Fence Question

I have a SS Cabinet saw and the front rectangular tube is 2" x 3"......I also have a Unisaw that I wanted to upgrade the fence on....that said I bought a SS fence to put on the Uni.....the tube that came with it is 1 3/4" square....doesn't seem it will be as robust as the one on my SS. I'd call SS and ask them about it but they are closed. Anyone have experience with this new fence? Thinking about taking it back. I really like the fence on my SS though.....thoughts?

Do they, perhaps, have different "levels" of fence systems just like they have multiple "levels" of cabinet saws? (I'm not familiar with SS's offerings...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I called SS Fridy.....told them I wanted to buy a Cabinet Saw fence...got the model # from them. The fence I got is for a cabinet saw....it is called Premium TS Fence...

Sounds like you got the "Premium" Fence. Whats the part number they sent you? You're looking for the T-glide Fence, which is the upgraded version.

T-glide fence: http://sawstop.3dcartstores.com/T-Gl...II-_p_196.html

As an aside, I didn't realize how cheap the fence assembly itself is. They sell the rails for another $200, but you could certainly make your own for less.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 08-26-2018 at 5:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    I called SS Fridy.....told them I wanted to buy a Cabinet Saw fence...got the model # from them. The fence I got is for a cabinet saw....it is called Premium TS Fence...
    There's that problem with calling things "industrial" and "premium" again. The Saw Stop Premium fence is this one. The Beis-clone is this one.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    The "premium" fence is anything but. It's actually a pretty lousy fence. The T-glide is much better

Thanks for the info.....odd that the SS rep I talked to diddn't tell me about the 2 different fences though. It was like there was only one fence.....I even mentioned how much I liked my SS fence that it was like the old style Biese. Thank you again

I would return it and get the Very Super Cool Tools fence. This would be my choice if I didn't already have the Vega fence.

Thanks for the info.....odd that the SS rep I talked to diddn't tell me about the 2 different fences though. It was like there was only one fence.....I even mentioned how much I liked my SS fence that it was like the old style Biese. Thank you again
    Typical behavior of modern day's customer rep. It can be a training issue, or it can be making unchecked assumption (that you wanted to buy the cheaper fence). Or, they just wanted to finish the transaction.

I don't always blame them because they are among the lowest earners in the job market (retail!). Good quality, well trained people cost money, and a lot of retail businesses can't afford to hire them.

Simon

It's actually a bit odd for SawStop. Say what you will about their product, but I've found their customer service quite good...at least when speaking to their service department. I ran into an issue with buying a new switch box and you had to speak with the service department first to verify the appropriate part number for your saw before purchasing will accept the order, as the guy said the purchasing department is not equipped/trained to do more than taking/fulfilling orders.

Actually I was talking to the service dept. The fence will go back....and thanks for the
    Very Super Cool Tools fence suggestion......looks good albeit pricey.

Actually I was talking to the service dept. The fence will go back....and thanks for the
    Very Super Cool Tools fence suggestion......looks good albeit pricey.
    Don't know anything about that fence. My experience with the ICS and PCS tells me the T glide fence delivers excellent results once properly set up. I would rather spend the money on blades.

Throw away the standard blade that comes with the saw, and even their titanium blade is so so.

Simon

Beware! I just camp back from my local SS distributor.....the one I bought the fence from. They were not going to take it back. Seems you have to deal with SS AFTER the purchase if you are not happy. I called SS while I was at the store & they confirmed it. SS said I couldn't get my $ back but they would put it toward the T-Glide fence. Meanwhile the people at the store decided to take the fence back after I was on the phone with SS for a while. Also the Service guy at SS said they couldn't find my SS Cabinet saw record without my serial #...….horsebleep as I've called and talked to them several times in the past without my serial #....they didn't have any problem finding me those times. Anyway it appears you have NO recourse after a SS purchase other than trading up unless the store intercedes.