Thread: More input please?

More input please?

I just read every thread under sand blasting and sand blasting media so here's my question. My shop is 24x40 and I have a Rabbit 600x900, 60 watt laser and most of the other accessories needed. I purchased a HF blast cabinet a couple weeks ago, it's caulked as well as I could and I bought a couple of the HF pressure vessels for media. I also planned on using the larger HF dust collector and ordered a super duper filter from Wynn Environmental. Having done all this do I still need to be concerned about dust infiltrating the laser? I considered venting the DC outside as I'm in a rural area and that wouldn't be a problem? I have a 24x24 building adjacent which houses the table and miter saw, and am considering a planer as well but that space is already fairly full so not sure what my next option might be? Your thoughts will be appreciated!

Venting DC outside in our area (especially where you are) isn't the most economical idea when HVAC is part of the picture...you push your heat or AC outside and have to suck cold/hot air back inside to replace it. You might consider placing your blaster in the shop "not near" your laser since the laser is potentially sensitive to fines from any source and also run an air cleaner to help keep the air clear of what gets missed by DC, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was afraid that's what you' say. DANG.............Oh well I guess I'll move the compressor back and rethink the other space....... Thanks for the input. If I ever get your way we ought to get together!

What is this "air cleaner" you speak of????
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Venting DC outside in our area (especially where you are) isn't the most economical idea when HVAC is part of the picture...you push your heat or AC outside and have to suck cold/hot air back inside to replace it. You might consider placing your blaster in the shop "not near" your laser since the laser is potentially sensitive to fines from any source and also run an air cleaner to help keep the air clear of what gets missed by DC, etc.

It is more complicated than that. Each time you open thedoor, you need to blow the interior down with clean air and then let the dustclear before opening the door. What is your definition of a super filter – 0.05micron, 1 micron,?? Think about buying a Dylos air quality monitor. It isvastly better than your eyes. With dust, objective data is king. Finally, think about things that you don’tthink about such as the venting of oil mist from the air compressor that you areusing when running it hard while blasting.

The filter has MERV15 rating. Don't claim to understand all that's involved Lon that's why I asked ..........and over the years I've finally learned to listen as well. LOL. I'll move the blast cabinet and compressor to the adjacent...unheated....building, brrrrr and figure the rest out. Thanks to everyone who responded!

Steve, there is nothing you can do to render a sand blast operation completely dust free unless you operate in a negative pressure room and vent to atmosphere.

Effectively, it needs to be in a separate area. This is a basic requirement for sandblasting. It's been part of my day job for about half my working life which is longer than I like to think. Separating the sandblasting from all other processes is a prerequisite for any kind of accreditation for this type of work. Cheers

I've listened to everyone who commented and took your advice to heart. I already moved the blast cabinet into the adjacent building, with the table and miter saw and am waiting on help with the compressor.. Thanks again to all who weighed in. I really appreciate your the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Steve, there is nothing you can do to render a sand blast operation completely dust free unless you operate in a negative pressure room and vent to atmosphere.

Effectively, it needs to be in a separate area. This is a basic requirement for sandblasting. It's been part of my day job for about half my working life which is longer than I like to think. Separating the sandblasting from all other processes is a prerequisite for any kind of accreditation for this type of work. Cheers

Have you considered taking SB cabinet outside when in use?

I live in central PA so "outside" is not a good option. The laser shop is 24x40, spray foam, with heat pump. The adjacent building is 24x24, minimal insulation. I'd be further ahead to demolish the 2nd building and start over? The larger issue is I'm landlocked with no space to expand.................

OK...the compressor is moved, wired, and plumbed with a good dryer. HF DC assembled with high quality filter and silicon carbide media ordered. Also need another hose and fittings to fit various saws, etc. In the new building I decided I need more room for material storage. I really want to "play" with the laser and I did make my first box yesterday but have concluded that having all the infrastructure in place while weather's good is my #1 priority...along with setting up some vendor accounts for supplies. Then, when the weather sucks, UPS can fight the weather and I can work on the laser in my nice climate controlled shop!

Next question..........I have a ROS and outlet OD is !.695" (with digital caliper) so I'm thinking 1.75 adapter. Miter saw and table saw outlet OD re both 2.057/2.060 so say 2.00 fitting. Blast cabinet has an OD of 2.519 so I figure 2.5". I've looked several places and not found either of the smaller fittings. Is this something I'll have to make or improvise or am I just not looking in the right place?