Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another just curious thread . . . .

Blog Entries

Another just curious thread . . . .

I am wondering if any of you have been to Harbor Freight.
    Every Sunday I read the Harbor Freight insert. I have purchased from them before, I did not
    remember what it was for sure. I think that ammo dry box with screwdrivers in it came from
    there. I have a nearby son-in-law that frequents their store. If I did not already have a cordless drill
    I would go get the 20v lithium cordless drill. If I did no have a pole saw I would get that as well.
    We have many mature oak trees with did low hanging branches, which is prevalent in Galveston
    County, Texas.

Monday, I will go to their store and check it out. I may go to other stores as well.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-26-2018 at 11:24 PM.

It's hit or miss with them. I have some really good stuff from them and I have some really bad stuff. Their Pittsburgh line of mechanic's tools are really good. One of my favorite ratchets is a Pittsburgh cushion-grip model. Their power tools are usually a pass for me, although I see they've come out with some better lines now (maybe?) Their rolling tool chests are really nice, equal to Craftsman at least. I keep a full toolbox in my truck and a lot of the hand tools in it came from there. Their moving blankets are nice and cheap along with things like nitrile gloves, rags, brushes, etc.

Got some clamps from them. Nothing serious, but mostly shop supplies. I think there is a list or web posting about what is good and what is junk about their products. Their prices may soon go up if the tariffs on Chinese goods become more widespread.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Horror Fright has many diamonds in the rough. I find that if I avoid anything that is supposed to be accurate or hold an edge I am fine. Their f-style bar clamps are a cheap way to get into clamps but, flex pretty well under heavy use. I made bench hold downs out of a few of them.

holddown-3.jpgholddown-4.jpg

I use one of their 23 gauge pinners and have for years without issue. I put a drop of oil in it every time I start a session and have never had a bit of trouble with it. I also own a Grex pinner.

I use their "free" tarps for all sorts of things and don't have to feel bad if I leave one out to rot. I also have some of their tool box drawer organizers in play. they have small rare earth magnets packs for a couple bucks that come in handy where I don't want to use the higher end stuff; sticking pencils, rules or small squares to machines for example.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We have towns 25 miles in either direction. One has a Home Depot. The other has a Lowes. Both have a Harbor Freight. I was amazed when they opened the second one. I had resisted going into one forever, but needed a lighter 3' bending brake in a hurry, so I held my nose, and went. There was some assembly required, but the little brake was just what I needed to finish up that job.

Last time I was there I was drawn to some real small Chinese magnets. Next time I'll make sure there are no nails in my
    pockets!

My sense is that the manufacturers they use save money by not having any quality control. Speaking particularly of power tools, if you get one in which every worker involved was doing good work, you'll have a good tool; if you get the one assembled by people who didn't care, you'll probably have something from which the smoke escapes the first time you fire it up.

I can't stand going there because the strong smell of plasticizers throughout the store gives me a headache almost immediately.

I do go slumming on occasion. The time & effort wasted on buying and trying to use and then returning a bad tool to save $50 is worrisome. A list of winners & turkeys is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I do go slumming on occasion. The time & effort wasted on buying and trying to use and then returning a bad tool to save $50 is worrisome. A list of winners & turkeys is a good idea.
    https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools...ight/view-all/
    https://www.itsahusbandthing.com/bes...freight-tools/
    http://toolsinaction.com/10-best-too...arbor-freight/

But I have seen something longer and more comprehensive than these lists, compiled by the loyal HF customers!

Whatever you buy there, you won't worry about your neighbors borrowing them!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-26-2018 at 1:26 PM.

My dad got me a tool chest from there for Christmas a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

For years my father in law would buy his power tools from there. One by one he had to replace them either because they were crap or a component would fail (or both).

From a hand tool standpoint I bought a dead blow mallet from there and a plane shaped object that was my first foray into planes. I managed to overcome that.

I bought evaporust from there several years ago which is a pretty good product as many here can attest. Apparently there's a similar WD40-branded product at the BORG.

11. (sometimes you need a coupon) but in general HF is the place to buy:
    zip ties
    nitrile gloves
    movers dolly
    magnetic parts bowls
    pickup bed cargo bars (light duty)

I have some of the F clamps but I never reach for them first
    I have 4 Pittsburgh screwdrivers and I like them

I usually just go there specifically for the gloves when they are on a coupon and throw some other junk in the cart as I stroll through the aisles.

Their air tools (specifically the compact impact gun) have been getting pretty good reviews. The wrenches and sockets have worked well for me just around the house (though I wish they would sell individuals and 6 points). And I think they are the only ones selling a bearing separator for under a fortune (don't have one, but it looks useful). I am leery of their cheap power tools after getting one (angle grinder) the was assembled improperly and destroyed it's brushes on first use (brushes were nearly the price of the tool). Their larger power tools seem to get OK reviews.

Mainly I go there for the RED sanding belts...do NOT buy the blue ones. Just bought a grinding wheel dresser....seems to work.

About the "smell".......used to that smell, as it is the same as the old Hardware stores had.

May look into the F style clamps.....

Have heard good things about their full sized bandsaw and the lathe....many like the Dust Collector they sell.

Been a while...but use to see some people walk into the store, with a paper bag over their head...so no one else will know they went in.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    About the "smell".......used to that smell, as it is the same as the old Hardware stores had.
    You must have gone to different hardware stores than I did; I sure don't remember any that smelled like an explosion in a plastics factory.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

Been a while...but use to see some people walk into the store, with a paper bag over their head...so no one else will know they went in.....
    That could be me!

Joking aside, I always find the place I visit well lit and properly organized. The F-style clamps are ok for their prices, but I would avoid the aluminum bar clamps (Dubuque aluminum bar clamps (36" & 48") are the only ones I use).

Simon