Thread: Something new to try out?

Something new to try out?

Went to a Meet & Greet today....and even gave a class on the Stanley 45. There was a drawing for a couple Door Prizes.....
    the 62.jpg
    And this is what I won.......NEW in the box, never been opened. Decided to give it a try-out.
    So...now I get to learn all about these sort of planes. My Stanley No. 3c was also used in the class, among other tools...
    IMG_5511 (640x480).jpg
    It was showing how I raise a panel with a plane. There was also a No.78....and a small block plane....
    Lots of Food, lots of fun, was a nice Meet & Greet. The Host's shop was a nice LARGE one....enough room for 7-8 fat, Olde Phartes to move around in...and stay in out of the Thunderstorms that rolled through the area.

Will give the new plane a try out...later..

One heck of a door prize! Congrats.

Congrats!

Have fun breaking it in.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is fun to get a new fangled plane for being in the right place at the right time.

Congrats!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steven,

Super Cool! One more congrats!

Stw

Make sure to put the blade in the right way....

Some of the other things I was "Gifted" with.....Van seemed to be a bit heavier on the way home...
    IMG_5509 (640x480).jpg
    Plane is a Defiance ( the iron bottomed one) the wooden Jack needs a single, tapered iron. One of those Breast Drills is a Jordan of France...have that cleaned up.
    IMG_5512 (404x640).jpg
    Everyone got a pen and a stand to hold it. Stand is signed by the fellow who makes them, and also has a 2017 penny inbedded under the base.
    IMG_5513 (640x480).jpg
    That pink, plastic tub?
    IMG_5517 (640x426).jpg
    In order to get things home, I stuck that Defiance plane in it....Chain drill is a Goodell-Pratt....there are two eggbeater drills, and 6 block planes. There was a second carton to load up..
    IMG_5515 (640x480).jpg
    Was more interested in the little chuck, and that red package.....chuck is to add to about any brace, to hold small twist drills ( like for pilot holes) The package has an 80" bandsaw blade...1/4" x 15 tpi.
    IMG_5518 (640x480).jpg
    And a stack of hardwood flooring cutoffs....will see what I can cobble up from those.

Gave a class on the many uses of the Stanley 45, the Stanley/Wards #78, and the Stanley #3c did a little showing off...
    IMG_5511 (640x480).jpg
    T & G joint.jpg
    Oh, and LOTS of food! Not a bad day? Yes, I swept up the floor when I was done for the day.

Slowly doing a clean up of the older tools....may give the new kid on the block a work out on those flooring cutoffs...

Watched Crosman's video on clean and set up for this WR #62......not sure about that back bevel stuff....Just have the "stock" iron, right now....we'll see.

Ok...here goes, from the clean up shop....
    IMG_5521.jpg

Was already cleaned up when I got it. No markings, though.
    IMG_5522 (640x362).jpg
    One of the two eggbeaters...
    IMG_5523 (640x310).jpg
    Handle is loose, has a nut & bolt holding in place...Millers Falls, maybe?
    IMG_5524 (640x312).jpg
    Goodell-Pratt...with label ( that I am still trying to read)
    IMG_5525 (640x286).jpg
    And this Goodell-Pratt, has a single Patent date..
    IMG_5527 (640x410).jpg
    Has issues with the chuck....jaws have springs, having trouble getting the jaws to close up...
    And then..
    IMG_5529 (640x480).jpg
    An Import ?
    IMG_5530 (640x532).jpg
    Jordan....France. I'll have to look again for the spelling ...could be Jordain?

Will update as I go...

Ok..eggbeater...is a Goodell-Pratt (logo on the crank handle) is a No. 329

The Breast drill with the Goodell-Pratt label has No. 0477 stamped on the crank handle

Wood shop was closed ( that Monday thing..) so not much chance to try the new plane out, yet. Heavy plane....makes my M-F No.14 seem feather-weight....

Of the 6 block planes in the tub....might be able to re-arrange a few parts, and get two decent ones working....looks like parts for a 103....a 9-1/2....and maybe a 220....we'll see.

Have a 6 block walk to the hospital this morning, and the same walk back home. Just so they can check on how the blood thinners are working....

There was a second eggbeater in that tub.
    IMG_5517 (640x426).jpg
    Had a bit of "plumbing" for the handle.....pinned in place with a roofing nail..... So..
    Got to looking around..had a pair of Atkins coping saws....one was very good, the other....not so good....decided the Cheapy could donate it's handle, and I could have a source of spares for other coping saws..
    Ground enough of the peaned over nail, and part of the pipe, to be able to drive the nail out. Had to drill the end of the new handle....sized the bit for a tight, drive-it-on fit....shined the parts that needed shined up, added a few drops of 3in1 oil in the needed spots...
    new handle front view.jpg
    Even the chuck works well enough to hold onto a drill bit. Thanks to the oil, drill just purrs along, no real effort needed to turn..
    backside view.jpg
    Just a single gear...not sure who made this one....
    As for those block planes....was 7 total plane shaped objects in there, not counting the Defiance "plane"
    blockheads.jpg
    Yeah......did some clean up, switched around a few parts....to get these..
    rear view.jpg
    Haven't tried to sharpen any of these. the rest will be for parts.
    Defiance.jpg
    As for this...thing.....not going to bother with it. Even if it was a freebie....not sure if I should just keep it for parts, or trade it off....same with the block planes....may be trade bait?

Not too bad of a weekend.....might be a better one coming up.......stay tuned..

Well, after it sat around the house for a few days.....it finally made an appearance IN my shop...
    arrival.jpg
    Box and all....
    The 62.jpg
    Still needs a wipe-down and tune up, but..
    jack planes.jpg
    The Workhorse jack plane met the newcomer..
    paired off.jpg
    A test was set up....a scrap of pine laid down...
    A Challenge.jpg
    Depth adjuster wheel is right hand thread....compared to..
    challenge met.jpg
    The Millers Falls Left-hand thread. I think these two called a truce...
    two jacks.jpg
    At least, for now....