Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casadei vs Minimax vs Hammer

Casadei vs Minimax vs Hammer

This is my first post on Sawmill but I've done a lot of lurking. I'm in the market for some new equipment and I think a 5 in 1 combo machine would fit my garage shop best. I've read a lot about Minimax and Hammer machines but haven't seen much on Casadei. There is a new Casadei C 41 listed by a company in Ohio for $10,500.00. It has a 16" jointer/planer and looks to have a 5.5 foot sliding table. I'm sure for that price that the mortising attachment is extra. I recently got a quote from Hammer on their C331 Comfort ($10,200) and C341 Comfort ($12K). I also received a quote for Minimax CU300 Classic for $13,695.00. The C341 would have the 16" jointer/planer but the other two would be 12". If I knew more about Casadei, this may be an easier decision. Does anyone have experience with Casadei combo machines? If remove Casadei from the equation, is the CU300 worth that much more than the Hammer C341? Thank you in advance.

Cheers!!
    Mickey

I don't know anything about the Casadei, but have you seen this thread?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nture-(So-Far)

About 18 mos ago I went through the CU300 vs C3-31 decision, and went with the C3-31. The Minimax rep made some good points (for instance: the CU300 package includes the mortiser, and is apparently "beefier"/heavier), but I didn't really want the mortiser and am sufficiently happy with the C3-31. There are, of course, several people here on SMC who are very happy with their CU300's, though, too.

Have you asked Felder and Minimax reps if they can refer you to local owners so you can put your hands on the machines and compare for yourself? I did this before buying, and have since hosted several visitors.

If you can pick up a Casadei C 41 for $10,500.00, I'd certainly grab it. Essentially the same machine as the CU300 as both Casadei and MiniMax are brands of SCM Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I don't know anything about the Casadei, but have you seen this thread?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nture-(So-Far)

About 18 mos ago I went through the CU300 vs C3-31 decision, and went with the C3-31. The Minimax rep made some good points (for instance: the CU300 package includes the mortiser, and is apparently "beefier"/heavier), but I didn't really want the mortiser and am sufficiently happy with the C3-31. There are, of course, several people here on SMC who are very happy with their CU300's, though, too.

Have you asked Felder and Minimax reps if they can refer you to local owners so you can put your hands on the machines and compare for yourself? I did this before buying, and have since hosted several visitors.

I saw another video of an Asian combo machine. It seemed like it was a marketing video but it was pretty comical. The machine looked pretty good. However, I don't think I have the gnads to deal with all of the importing headache. Of course, he was rewarded with a decent machine at a cheap price.

That's a good idea about asking the reps for "references". I'm sure someone in the Phoenix area owns their machines.

What made you decide on the C3-31?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    If you can pick up a Casadei C 41 for $10,500.00, I'd certainly grab it. Essentially the same machine as the CU300 as both Casadei and MiniMax are brands of SCM Group.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking, Peter. I just wish I knew more about the brand and the support behind it. Seems like a great price for a product that would be more similar to the C3-41. I'm looking forward to hearing back from the rep.

This is that video of the ML310K from Zicar (or Jaya International). I think it's a little comical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkuLZebvmVg At around 3:40 I sure thought he was going to cut through the crosscut fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Bradshaw View Post
    What made you decide on the C3-31?
    Honestly, there were few strong arguments in favor of one vs the other. I slightly preferred the aesthetics of the Hammer. I also have an affinity for Austrian/Germany engineering, and have had unpleasant experiences with Italian engineering. I also wanted the "SilentPower" spiral jointer (vs Tersa). Really small details, ultimately...

Exfactory's website appears to be down at the moment, but I recently saw a LOADED Felder combo machine on there for ~$20k? Looked like it came with every accessory, blade, and cutter imaginable. If I had the space for a longer slider and was doing it again, I'd be seriously considering that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Bradshaw View Post
    This is my first post on Sawmill but I've done a lot of lurking. I'm in the market for some new equipment and I think a 5 in 1 combo machine would fit my garage shop best. I've read a lot about Minimax and Hammer machines but haven't seen much on Casadei. There is a new Casadei C 41 listed by a company in Ohio for $10,500.00. It has a 16" jointer/planer and looks to have a 5.5 foot sliding table. I'm sure for that price that the mortising attachment is extra. I recently got a quote from Hammer on their C331 Comfort ($10,200) and C341 Comfort ($12K). I also received a quote for Minimax CU300 Classic for $13,695.00. The C341 would have the 16" jointer/planer but the other two would be 12". If I knew more about Casadei, this may be an easier decision. Does anyone have experience with Casadei combo machines? If remove Casadei from the equation, is the CU300 worth that much more than the Hammer C341? Thank you in advance.

Cheers!!
    Mickey
    I think you can eliminate Casadei from your option list, Casadei's combination machine is not that popular, and there is always a reason for that.

Do you need 16" JP? Its a nice feature but how often do you need it? and how critical is the 16" capacity to you?

If I were you I will take Minimax. For new machines, You pay what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    I think you can eliminate Casadei from your option list, Casadei's combination machine is not that popular, and there is always a reason for that.

Do you need 16" JP? Its a nice feature but how often do you need it? and how critical is the 16" capacity to you?

Really? All of the Casadei stuff I have looked at is SCMI machinery with less marketing. Would buy in a second to save a couple grand and gain 4". Much of the machinery in my shop is SCMI, no problems. Popularity and quality do not necessarily go hand in hand. I give you McDonalds...........

I don't believe there is much structural difference between Casadei and SCM. Mainly paint and a few bells and whistles now that they share so much in common . It would help to look at the choices. I don't think the Austrian vs Italian thing has much play here either as it is hard to tell where anything is made.

Blog Entries
    I used the FS41 ES to capacity within about a week of owning it, and many many times since then.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post

The lack of popularity of the Casadei is a concern. However, if they are owned by SCMI with the same manufacturer and specs as the MM machines, maybe it has to do with the difference in the marketing between the two? I don't know how MM support is after the sale, but that is one thing that I'm concerned about with the Casadei. You make a good point with the 16" capacity. I probably wouldn't use it that often. I probably wouldn't even consider it if the 16" machine wasn't substantially cheaper as it is in this case.

I suspect support would ultimately be through their parent, SCMI. I believe the address for Casadei Busellato in Duluth GA is the same for both companies.

There is a supplier of Casadei machines here in Canada and from what I have seen they are almost identical (perhaps made in the same factory line) as the Minimax line. I was considering buying a mortising attachment from their J/P for my minimax J/P and the diagrams seemed the same.
    I would buy a combo at that price in a heart beat if it's in good condition.

Thanks Peter, I will check on that.

mreza, that price I listed for that Casadei is NEW!!!