Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch for Old Unisaw

Switch for Old Unisaw

The saw is older than I am...it was made in 1946...and it's seen many better days. Still, it will see many more good days. I'm not interested in restoring it to original condition--just want to ruin wood with it in the best possible fashion.

When I inherited the saw, it had the original motor on it. For me, it worked fine. But there was a period where I wasn't doing woodworking and a friend was, and he asked to borrow the saw to use as a dedicated dado saw in his cabinet shop. I agreed. He replaced the original Delta fence with a Biesemeyer and side extension table. He also installed a new 3-HP motor (this required cutting away part of the cabinet, which didn't seem so awful at first, but now...oh well, damage done).

Thing is, the original owner of the saw (my dear departed dad) had the machine installed in a huge work table (about 16' x 12') and had reconfigured the on-off switch. It is a standard toggle switch in a 4" square metal box (yeah, like the one on the wall in your house). When the saw left the big table some years later (but before I got it), that box was screwed onto the sheet metal cabinet. It's still there, and adequately, if not terribly safely, turns the motor on and off.

I really would like a better switch situation. You know, guards around the push buttons, big paddle to kill the motor, etc.

Suggestions? Make and model of switch, installation location, etc.
    Thanks.

The original toggle switch, switch box, and the original bullet motors are all in some demand, so if you're not using them, put them out on eBay and you'll finance this project with money left over for more wood to ruin.

Wish I had them, Pete. The OEM motor disappeared when the new motor was installed. I never saw the OEM switch/switch box. It was apparently common in my dad's shop to replace the switches on power machines with "more convenient" switches. He disabled the switch on the old Craftsman DP (located on the motor bracket) with a toggle switch in metal J-box attached to the C.I. shroud above the quill.

The switch mod on the DP is fine (sorta) in that it's actually way more convenient than the OEM solution. However, reaching under the table of the Unisaw to find a small toggle switch while the saw is potentially in kick-back mode is "Not A Good Thing."

The Unisaw is right tilt, the switch is mounted on the cabinet above and to the right of the blade height adjustment wheel. My thought is that it would be WAY safer if the switch was mounted just under the fence rail on the left side...but would that get in the way of reading the tilt angle gauge?

And I really do not want to continue with this little toggle switch to operate such a powerful machine.

You could use a Grizzly H8242 (they are on sale for $10 right now), or put a magnetic switch on it, or go with a vintage thermal overload switch/motor starter.

I bought one of these I'm planning to install on a similar vintage Uni:

http://www.safetyonline.com/product....r-Control-0001

The guy altered your saw without asking you about it? I'd have been furious to lose the bullet motor.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The guy altered your saw without asking you about it? I'd have been furious to lose the bullet motor.
    I agree, he should have asked, but the new fence seems like a big plus. Plus, was the old motor capable of turning a wide dado?

There are lots of opinions on what to do with old machines, but adapting to advance with current technology does not seem so wrong, particularly if it maintains the usefulness of the machine.

That said, something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-...f-Switch/H8243

would allow the saw to be turned off with your leg during operation.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I agree, he should have asked, but the new fence seems like a big plus. Plus, was the old motor capable of turning a wide dado?
    "The guy" is a dear friend of mine. He did ask and I gave permission. I was unaware (then) of the value of the old saw. It was only when I took it in to a shop for a tuneup that I found out what a gem I have. The old motor, if I recall correctly was a 1-horse motor. My friend, who runs a large cabinet shop, wanted to install the new motor because the original one wasn't powerful enough.

And yes, the new fence and side table are, for my needs, superb. I feel I got the better part of the bargain, despite the loss in historic value of the saw.

There are lots of opinions on what to do with old machines, but adapting to advance with current technology does not seem so wrong, particularly if it maintains the usefulness of the machine.
    I agree. I've already retired the original miter gauge in favor of a Kreg. Whereas before, I went out of my way to avoid using the miter gauge, now I use it all the time. And I'm eager to begin making and using some of the very cool jigs I read about in the magazines.

Thanks, to Scott and Stephen, for the links.

However, neither of the sources adequately describes mounting methods. I am not very eager to inflict further damage to the Unisaw--is there any way to hang either of those switches from the Biesemeyer support angle?

I think the one I posted mounts in a normal, home depot style electrical box, which could be mounted anywhere with a little imagination.

There's plenty of room on a Biesemeyer angle iron to mount a variety of switch boxes- just drill and tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    "However, neither of the sources adequately describes mounting methods. I am not very eager to inflict further damage to the Unisaw--is there any way to hang either of those switches from the Biesemeyer support angle?
    How about something like this? (credit to jeffro over at OWWM)
    Attached Images Attached Images

there any way to hang either of those switches from the Biesemeyer support angle?
    I have used several of the Grizzly paddle switches and they seem to work fine. They can be mounted in a standard 4 square box using an adapter faceplate for a duplex or light switch , then hang the 4 square box from the Bies rail or tube either directly or with a piece of angle iron.

Since the original poster started this thread back in August, hopefully he has come up with a solution by now.

Oh, come on Josiah, there have got to be 2 or 3 more options we can give him to regret whatever he did back in August. Where is the fun at leaving someone satisfied with their decision? Pulling out the old threads with a "Oh, I HOPE you did X and not Y, because of Z" post WAY after the fact is half the fun. I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the date of the OP.
    I drink, therefore I am.

And I really do not want to continue with this little toggle switch to operate such a powerful machine.
    And that was the OP's last thought...nobody knows what he opted for. Here's my option for a 3hp 230v motor:

Few "on/off toggles or pushbutton switches are rated for a 3hp/230v motor. And you only have the overload reset button on the motor (if so-equipped) to protect it from overheating.

I am big on installing magnetic starters on every machine in my shop. There is a extra safety factor with mag starters, in that the motor will not accidentally restart itself if power is interupted and then restored. And, their overload heaters add extra insurance to keep from frying an expensive motor. Besides that, I just think mag starters are cool! (I made my own low-voltage mag controls from junk HVAC parts wayy back in the 80s)

There are many decent mag starter bargains now on ebay if you know what you are looking for. A Size 1 starter, either 3-phase or single-phase will do. Magnetic coil for 120v or 240v. At least one overload heater sized for your motor's max. amperage (FLA). The pushbutton station can be on the starter box itself, or as a separate control conveniently placed.

The "panic paddle" is a good idea for emergencies when you need to stop the machine NOW. I see no momentary paddle on/offs offered by Grizzly, Rockler or others, but any momentary can be rigged with it's own STOP paddle. Necessity is the Mother Of Invention.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!