Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Buy Your DC Ductwork?

Where Do You Buy Your DC Ductwork?

Probably gonna need to do some mods on my DC ductwork. I did some searches for light gauge ductwork and found Air Handling Systems. On their website the call the lighter stuff "Hobby Shop" grade, for systems 3HP and less. Prices look pretty reasonable.

Any other recommendations?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Any other recommendations?
    I buy most of it from a local HVAC guy. He sells it to me with no mark up.

We get ours from HVAC too. Its not the high dollar stuff you see in the dream DC setups but its 26 gauge and lots of jump configurations, wye's, and so on, available.

I used Nordfab for my DC system. Not cheap, but like most things, you get what you pay for and the ease of install, and adjustments, and possible re-install makes it so worth it.
    Nordfab sells mostly through distributors. I purchased mine through Oneida which also provides design consultation.

Auctions. Hence the hundreds of pieces of snap loc and 4 gaylords full of fittings, plus 4 skids of parts.

For the fittings I need, here are the prices for systems 3HP and under that Air Handling Systems offers:

6x6x6 Y - $41.05
    6x4x4 Y - $39.80
    6" 45 Elbow - $22.80
    6-5 Reducer - $18.30

Considering I've seen prices over $100 for the same, AHS prices seem reasonable.

The elbows and reducer I can get at HD but there is a lot of air loss with those. But the Ys you can't get at local stores.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

The ductwork pieces that HD sells is at least double the price as from a dedicated HVAC supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Auctions. Hence the hundreds of pieces of snap loc and 4 gaylords full of fittings, plus 4 skids of parts.
    lol, yep. Need any 14" pipe?
    JR

Bought all mine from Oneida when I bought my dust collector.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Oneida, Air Handling Systems, Kencraft, local "real" HVAC supplies, etc. are all good sources. The challenge with HVAC suppliers for the special fittings is that what they typically have are "backwards" from what dust collection wants relative to crimps, etc., because the air flow for DC is the opposite direction from HVAC systems.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Those prices are why I went with DWV plastic pipe. The are a little more than half the cost listed above. A 10 ft section of 6" pipe is $15.12 at Menards.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Those prices are why I went with DWV plastic pipe. The are a little more than half the cost listed above. A 10 ft section of 6" pipe is $15.12 at Menards.
    6" SDR pipe is indeed inexpensive (one end is belled for connection to the next length), but the fittings are more expensive, pretty comparable to the metal fitting prices from Air Handling Systems quoted above. A few years ago I had my basement floor (then just a frosting of concrete on uneven dirt) broken up and replaced with a smooth, even, dry 4" slab. I took advantage of the opportunity to run the DC ducting underground in the machine side of my shop, which is about 300 sf. Dedicated runs from jointer, tablesaw, bandsaw and router table plus an above ground wye and run to the DW735 were about $700 altogether. Lee Valley offers flexhose for 4" and 6" connections to machines at a reasonable price/quality point.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Nordfab and air handling mashes nice duct, but very expensive. I buy from a local hvac and speak pipe manufacturer. It was a fraction of the cost and even though it's a bit more work, it works great!

I have bought from Kencraft.

I got my straight pipe from Grainger.