Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas shooting board fence

Looks like I need to sharpen the blade more often. End grain wears down the edge quickly over here in Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Derek, that is a great idea. I already have the Veritas shooting plane, but that idea makes the Jack rabbet an even better value for someone that needs a shooting plane. Add the new grip and it is perfect.
    From what I can work out, if you have the bevel up jointer, the grip will also fit that. Seems like a great way to get left shooting going.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    From what I can work out, if you have the bevel up jointer, the grip will also fit that. Seems like a great way to get left shooting going.
    Assuming it would bolt on the BU Jointer, I don't think that would be a good choice for a shooting plane. The BU Jointer has a tiny registration face on the sides, really only machined enough to bolt up a fence. For that same reason I don't think my BU Jointer makes a great jointer plane either, as one cannot tilt it to one side to see if the work surface is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Hilton, I think that you meant to write "bevel down jointer"

Otherwise, yes, this fence is designed for a plane that goes both directions, such as this ...

Set the blade, and if it is a smidgeon off square, the result from shooting from each side will be a complementary angle that adds up to a perfect 90 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have to agree with Greg regarding the BU jointer as it is, however, it wouldn’t be too difficult to route out a recess in a custom side fence to accomodate the small registration area on the plane.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can’t find any new shooting board fence on Veritas (or Lee Valey) website. All I see are the old tracks. What new products are available? Can someone post a link?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can’t find any new shooting board fence on Veritas (or Lee Valey) website. All I see are the old tracks. What new products are available? Can someone post a link?

When you go to the site there is a What’s New area in the upper left. Click on the Woodworking and a new page opens with all the new stuff.

And is this instead of The Stanley 52 which no one is making?

SOLD OUT!!!

Want one? Wait till mid October (backorder).

Simon

Thank you. It is quite narrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    And is this instead of The Stanley 52 which no one is making?
    Actually Mark, as an owner of a Stanley #52, I think the Veritas is a better and more versatile design. The #52 can only be used on one side.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Actually Mark, as an owner of a Stanley #52, I think the Veritas is a better and more versatile design. The #52 can only be used on one side.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, you plan to release your review of the fence and the new hand plane 40 years anniversary?

John, I do not have the fence, although Rob Lee sent me pictures of it prior to its release. I do have the pocket block plane (not the anniversary version), and have taken some photos of it being used in my current build.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It certainly looks versatile - a video of a demonstration on the LV site would be very helpful