Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usefulness of something like a Rikon belt/disc sander

A spindle sander is the absolute worst possible choice for sanding ~flat surfaces! You want a narrow belt sander for the object shown.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Sanding cylinders on flex shaft tool

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I changed my mind anyway. Look on Amazon for sanding drums to fit Dremel and such. You can get a couple hundred in 3 sizes 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2", in several grits with mandrels for less than $30. They may fit your need better than a large sander.
    You reminded me. I once bought some soft sanding cylinders that fit my Foredoms. (I find a Foredom incredibly useful to anyone who carves or works with curved wood. http://www.foredom.net/rotarytools.aspx) The little sanding arbors take pieces of normal sand paper That's what I would use for the vertical curves.

soft_cushioned_sanding_drum.jpg

I have two sizes. I don't remember where I got them but IIRC I think John Lucas told me about them - maybe ask him.

JKJ

How about a multi tool sander and holding the part in your hand as sand. The vibration of the tool should leave less sanding marks.

Thanks much John. very helpful.

ok will do. thank you.

Hi Andy,

am curious why you say that? From demos I've seen on FWW's site, seems like they are good for curved shapes like patterns and the like. My issue is that the boxes are 2" deep and am trying to sand across the grain.

Just wanted to understand your reasoning.

thanks much

'mark

The small diameter of the spindle (necessary to fit between the leaves) dishes out the surface in scallops, rather than blending it, making a spindle sander a horrible choice for the proposed purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The small diameter of the spindle (necessary to fit between the leaves) dishes out the surface in scallops, rather than blending it, making a spindle sander a horrible choice for the proposed purpose.
    A spindle sander was made for inside radiuses which 95% of this project is. A 1x30" sander as well as any other tool can cause similar problems. Like any other tool it takes practice and technique to get a smooth surface. Light passes help also. The quality of the cuts prior to taking it to the sander speeds up the process also.

"Light passes help also."

This. It's when you get impatient and try to push too hard that you'll get the scalloping. Also, keep the work moving.

After looking more closely at the photo, I have to agree that a spindle sander would be helpful for the radii.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    You can also get sanding belts that go on bandsaws. I've never used one but have kept it in the back of my mind for certain applications. One example:

https://2sand.com/bandsaw-sanding-belts-1-2-x-93-5-pack

There may be scratch patterns because there is no oscillation.
    I have successfully used these on a less expensive smaller saw. The finish wasn't perfect, but for the Arrow of Light awards I was making for the Cub Scouts, it worked very well for tight corners, In my case, it was a 1/2' belt.

-Mike
    I
    Last edited by Mike Weaver; 08-26-2018 at 11:21 AM.

I've never used these myself, but Lee Valley does carry sanding strips that mount in scroll saws.

Consider an oscillating multi-tool, like Fein or cheaper knock off. You can get a variety of sanding contours for them. I love my Fein for detail/corner sanding.

A spindle sander will get most of your leaf, but not the tight corners. All spindle sanders are not the same though. I had a harbor freight spindle sander - not enough power. The rigid spindle/belt sander has a lot of good user feedback.

If you have a scroll saw, the sanding inserts work well for corners.

Or manual sanding with a set of fine files.

Or just cut your own long strips of cloth-backed sand paper and work them back and forth in the corners. Cheap and effective.

As for the sander in question: it won't help much with your leaf project, and their are better investment choices.

I have a Jet benchtop combo belt/disc sander. I like it. Granted I don't use every time I'm in the shop but I do find it useful at times, mostly for smaller items, final shaping, etc... I have a hybrid pantorouter for which I make a lot jigs and templates and so I actually use the combo sander while making these jigs. Also useful for making the round template followers.

Scott