Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usefulness of something like a Rikon belt/disc sander

usefulness of something like a Rikon belt/disc sander

Hi

I would like some seasoned advice on the usefulness of a power tool like a Rikon model 50-151 1"x30" belt, 5" disc sander. I'm making some maple leaf shaped boxes on the band saw and looking for an easier way to sand the band saw blade marks off these rather complex shapes. It has a 1/3 hp motor which seems a bit on the light side but for the cost, its probably adequate.

I've seen this Rikon sander on sale right now for about a hundred bucks. Never having used one before I am just wondering if these are really worth having? I'm being careful in what tools I add to my shop these days and more isn't always better.

I've included a picture of the boxes I'm making to give an example of the kinds of angles/shapes I am trying to sand. Any suggestions are appreciated. Perhaps there are better ways to sand such shapes made of hardwood.

thank you,

'markbox.jpg

I got angry just thinking about sanding that shape.

These type of sanders are very good for shaping wood, but they are not "finish" sanders. You'll need to be very careful using one for what you propose as they can take off a lot of material really fast, even with finer abrasives installed.

I have a larger combo sander in my shop. To-date, I've used it every few years for something and it's not provided as much utility to me as I originally anticipated...not because it's a bad tool, but because the types of things I do haven't lent themselves to it as much as I thought they might.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have a similar requirement often enough to make me loo at 1" and 2" sanders. After much percolation I went with a $30 Harbor Freight (watch for a sale and use the coupon) and did the hacks well documented on the web. Pick up some finer belts for it so you can step through a few grits. As Jim says, it is not a finish sander and the scratch pattern is often going the wrong way for what I am doing. Still it does simplify and speed up the process of tight concave areas.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

With the exception of the entry point of the cut, A small spindle sander would do most of it with a better finish.

Hi

thank you for your response - very helpful. Your comments about how often you use it align with mine.

'mark

thanks much

Hi

thanks Cary, I was just out at Harbor Freight and saw their oscillating spindle sander. The height and diameter of the spindle looks like it might work

In general - are these more useful than the aforementioned belt/disc sanders?

any recommendations?

thanks all

Mark,

I had a Jet 1x42" with a 8" disc. I ended up selling it. I never used the disc portion. I used the belt for sharpening tools and bits. I don't like disc sanders unless the they are big(24") because only about 1/4 of it is useable. I have a floor model oscillating spindle sander and an edge sander. For me those are the most useful sanders. As mentioned before it depends what you make and how you work as to which sander is the most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by mark ahlenius View Post
    I would like some seasoned advice on the usefulness of a power tool like a Rikon model 50-151 1"x30" belt, 5" disc sander.
    I have two 1" belt sanders with disks, one is a Rikon. It's the bigger brother to the model you mentioned so that's what my experience is on. The other one is a very inexpensive and lower-quality 1" belt/disk sander. I also have Rikon's larger belt/disk sander with a 6" wide belt and a 10" disk.

I use all three of these a lot but the two Rikon's the most. I don't know how the quality of the $100 version compares to the one twice the price, but the one I have is excellent. I use it mostly for metal, such as shaping hand scrapers to use on woodturnings and when making and repairing things. I have zero complaints about it. But I don't think the belt would fit in the concavities in the pieces in your picture if they are as small as I'm guessing they are.

(I use the big daddy with the 6" wide belt for wood and plastic only. It's my workhorse for shaping many things with the 10" disk and flattening certain things with the belt. Wouldn't be useful in tight places)

I'm not sure what I'd use for your pieces, assuming you want straight, vertical sides. I have a spindle sander but even the smallest spindle might be too big a radius for the tighter curves. Hard to tell since I'm guessing on the sizes of the pieces in your picture.

JKJ

I don't know what they are called, but I suggest you check out those little hand sanding frames that take a tiny belt, kind of like a belt on a small coping saw.

For most of what your pic shows a spindle sander would serve you well, if it has several size spindles. I would check out the Home depot's Rigid model which has several spindle sizes as well as a belt. About $200 and has good reviews.

EDIT: They are called sanding sticks, but they don't do inside curves.

I changed my mind anyway. Look on Amazon for sanding drums to fit Dremel and such. You can get a couple hundred in 3 sizes 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2", in several grits with mandrels for less than $30. They may fit your need better than a large sander.

Make a wooden stand to hold the Dremel, etc., etc..
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-25-2018 at 2:27 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a Dayton 2x42 with 6" disc. I bought it for grinding HSS tools for my metal lathe and modded it accordingly. Thought I'd use it for all kinds of other things but have never used it once for anything other than it's intended purpose. Never used the disc at all. Seems most of the one's I see being used are by knife makers and other metalworking applications.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    With the exception of the entry point of the cut, A small spindle sander would do most of it with a better finish.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking Cary.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You can also get sanding belts that go on bandsaws. I've never used one but have kept it in the back of my mind for certain applications. One example:

https://2sand.com/bandsaw-sanding-belts-1-2-x-93-5-pack

There may be scratch patterns because there is no oscillation.

Look at a sanding mop or Mac Mop from Klingspor Woodworking. I use them on irregular shapes a lot.