Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squares are ....square

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    …….social media...…...
    I see the problem. I can't remember the last time I have seen any adds for Woodpeckers. They don't even send me any e-mails for OTTs anymore. I just went to their website just now to see the latest OTTs I have missed this year. Pocket Compass, how ridiculous. Where did I put my wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    In very general terms "the red bird" starting getting hate when they started the one time tool deal. I have a few Woodpeckers measuring devices and absolutely love my Delve square.
    I'm right there with you brother. I wanted to hate "the red bird" and ordered the Delve square in a weak moment. But I've really come to love that thing, as much for layout and marking as for tool setup. Handy little sucker and to my knowledge, there's nothing else quite like it.
    I have a really nice coffee maker. I don't really "need" it, but boy that thing brightens up every morning. Tools can be like that.
    Edwin,

I have 3 Starrett squares that belonged to my Dad, all are the steel rule versions and at least 50 yrs old. They're all "dead square" no matter which way I check them - only issue is the rulers are hard to read. About 3 years ago I got a satin finish rule which is much easier to read - I can swap it into any of the 3 heads and no difference from the original rules. I don't own any WP measuring tools, but I'd highly recommend investing in the quality of the Starrett product

Blog Entries
    Checking precision tools for accuracy can be done in various ways, I saw Chris Vesper has a pretty cool rig setup
    for checking his squares with an indicator.

If I were serious about squareness I would use a granite master square.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Checking precision tools for accuracy can be done in various ways, I saw Chris Vesper has a pretty cool rig setup
    for checking his squares with an indicator.

If I were serious about squareness I would use a granite master square.
    Adjusting a combo square is surprisingly simple. All it takes is a small thin file. I've seen a video somewhere online by Robert Lang where he demonstrates how to do it. You can sneak up on the adjustment using your checking method of choice until you get it dialed in.

Harbor freight sells jointers and planers too. Maybe we all should trade in our Powermatic, Festool, Felder, etc since the harbor freight models work.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    I’ll clarify - I did not adjust anything. I compared the cheap ones with the “square” one just to see. Everybody seemed to be consistent. By no means were my analyses super rigorous, I tried them under conditions typical of my work and I’d venture to guess most other work here. Bottom line is these cheap ones will produce fine work. And yes, I’d feel differently if the prices were not ridiculous for what you get. The OTT things I find mostly hysterical. For example, the $140 stick. It’s a stick... Their marketing is (necessarily) boastful and I guess it’s proving effective.

And to clarify further, I have little disdain for some of the other brands cause they aren’t busy saturating social media with their wares. Just honest and most of the time affordable. With WP, I’m reminded of a Family Guy bit about children’s photos... So I felt the need to experiment to prove (granted without a NIST certificate) a point.
    William

I understand where you're coming from. I truly do. You solicited discussion, so I commented.
    For the record. I do not own any of the "Red Company's" products, and suspect that the OTT concept was taken from John Economaki, of Bridge City Tool's, marketing model. People are drawn to exclusive, and I suspect that is what The OTT is all about.
    The "best" squares I have seen readily available are the plastic Staedler triangle squares available in Art stores and drafting supply catalogs, and they're generally less than $5.00. Same with their drafting Tee's, but they run about $40.00. They're more than adequate for the majority of wood working applications.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-25-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

So... I think we can conclude that the $8 measuring and squaring tools will provide dutiful service, and that the hype is just hype. Discuss.
    I won a Red Company pocket rule. It's a joy to use. Accurate in the extreme. I use it mostly for router setup where tiny, tiny, tiny differences matter a lot. The type that the eye can't detect, but, the finger can.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It's hard for me to not buy Starrett tools. My neighbors and relatives work there. This ad was in the local newspaper today. I t means a lot. Go look around Athol on Google Street, and you can see how important this is to the local economy. The are also great to use.

I'm curious as to how much more than "reasonable profit" WP makes on their products. Given the environmental/safety/etc. regulations and the cost of skilled American labor, how much of that $100 square is profit?

I have their precision framing square. Is it overpriced at what I paid for it? I don't think so,.. I had 3 cheap stamped framing squares from the borg . everyone of them was off to varying degrees. some of their onetime tools are rather expensive compared to what you get however people still buy them. there are a few other things they have that appeal to me also, It goes back to the same old question" how much are you willing to pay for quality"

Blog Entries
    I have one checking tool from the BORG, I had to straighten it abd later discovered it also had a slight twist to it. Check out Chris Vesper’s Instagram and you start to get a feel for the difference in quality and conscientiousness of someone really interested in producing fine tools. That sort of thing is important to me, and I think it’s great to see that level of professionalism consumed by the industry.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like the analogy with "car people" vs "non-car people." I don't need my slider or my WP T-Square or my Starret combo square (or, or, or...), but they make me happy. Nobody else needs to understand why since it's my money. I'm not even sure I understand why.

I've driven my father's Porsche and BMW, and they're nice. I genuinely prefer my 10 year old Subaru. I just don't understand car people, but I don't begrudge them their preferences. I also don't understand people who would rather go on a cruise than stay in a hostel or go camping, or those who would spend $50 on a steak or glass of wine. It doesn't bother me, though.

To each his own, live and let live, everyone marches to their own drummer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I like the analogy with "car people" vs "non-car people." I don't need my slider or my WP T-Square or my Starret combo square (or, or, or...), but they make me happy. Nobody else needs to understand why since it's my money. I'm not even sure I understand why.

I've driven my father's Porsche and BMW, and they're nice. I genuinely prefer my 10 year old Subaru. I just don't understand car people, but I don't begrudge them their preferences. I also don't understand people who would rather go on a cruise than stay in a hostel or go camping, or those who would spend $50 on a steak or glass of wine. It doesn't bother me, though.

To each his own, live and let live, everyone marches to their own drummer, etc.
    Brian, I am completely the opposite in what I enjoy but agree completely. Makes the world work. Dave

I mostly have used and inexpensive tools I have fettled into accuracy. However, I have and use a Starrett combination square, and find that the easy to read scales, crisp gradations, and particularly the flat ground edge make precision much more pleasant. In combination with a marking knife, I can work faster at high precision with the Starrett. Another brand that is properly ground would work, but a cheap square with rounded edge to the rule and wide markings does not work the same way. I have a bunch of other squares that are good enough for most woodworking, and I like speed squares for rough carpentry as they are unaffected by falls, and are thick enough to use as a circular saw guide. But they most definitely do not all match, unless I put in some work.

Many people find that expensive, beautiful tools are worth it to them, and I usually find that they are not worth it for me. A well made square is worth it to me, and I don't mind helping in a very small way to support William Hodge's neighbors.