Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubo Build Nearing Completion

Roubo Build Nearing Completion

Finally finishing my first workbench build. Its been a great learning experience. I still have a few things yet to do on it in terms of accessories, but it is mostly there. Don't look too close but just thought I would share.

MVIMG_20180824_073749.jpg

MVIMG_20180824_073607.jpg

Looks awesome

Pretty good looking. Are you planning on shaping the vise?
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Pretty good looking. Are you planning on shaping the vise?
    Yes, that and build a center tool tray insert are the two remaining big items to accomplish.

Looks great, good stuff. I bet you will enjoy this for a long time.
    David

Tasty
    I especially like that the tenons are not through and has a nice overhang.
    Guessing your planing on adding the filler strip/flip up planing stop too, when it settles.
    Nice work
    Make sure to keep us updated, we loves our bench threads

Tom

Thanks, David!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Tasty
    I especially like that the tenons are not through and has a nice overhang.
    Guessing your planing on adding the filler strip/flip up planing stop too, when it settles.
    Nice work
    Make sure to keep us updated, we loves our bench threads

Tom
    Thanks, Tom

Yes, the center strip/stop is next up... I guess I got a little antsy to share before it is completely wrapped up.

Very nice.

I still remember the cool realization that all the stuff scattered around the shop was coalescing into a bench.

Then the day came to attach the top to the base and flipp it over. Suddenly there was a workbench in the shop.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Looks great

Looks really nice!

What do others think of the leg vises? I put one on mine, but not really happy with it. It's kind of awkward and the screw interferes with a lot of clamping operations. I'm thinking of replacing mine with either a twin screw or building a moxon add-on.

Jason I have a BC leg vise and I like it very much and use it for lots of vise operations. That is just me, though, and I realize different folks use different methods. I suppose I use it for sawing as much or more than anything else, however it also gets used to hold something for a quick planing or spoke shave operation as well. I have a free-standing, split top Ruobo style bench which allows me to work on the opposite side of the bench from the leg vise if is in the way and that may be why mine is more useful than yours.
    David

13. Great looking bench!!!!

Nice wood contrast details. It's just a bench, but it adds a little fun without making it look like furniture. You will get a lot of satisfaction working on it. I am more jealous of the empty garage space around it. I am still clearing up and organizing my garage from last years move (working outward from my bench of course).
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 08-25-2018 at 7:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Looks really nice!

What do others think of the leg vises? I put one on mine, but not really happy with it. It's kind of awkward and the screw interferes with a lot of clamping operations. I'm thinking of replacing mine with either a twin screw or building a moxon add-on.
    I like leg vice and use it quite a bit. The sliding deadman on the other hand rarely gets used because the leg vice is strong enough to hold most stock at the lengths I use.

I do think a twin screw vice (Moxon or modern) would be superior for dovetailing as I do get some chatter when sawing wider boards. I may build a small joinery bench similar to Shannon Rodgers to address this and to raise the height of the operation.