Thread: Quality scribe

Quality scribe

I’m having difficulty finding a quality scribe. I started off with a cheap compass, but compass would shift/ move on me.

I then upgraded to the easyscribe. I was very happy with the easy scribe, but the attachment that holds the lead broke today. It seems like the tool is cheaply made.

Can anybody recommend a quality scribe?

I was looking at the acuscribe but I heard the newer ones are made much cheaper . A few reviews said they have started 3D printing them and swapped a few metal parts for plastic and that they break very easily. How old is your acuscribe and have you had any issues?

+1 on the accuscribe. The main benefit of the accuscribe is the flat surface that rides against the wall, which helps keep everything oriented correctly.

I can also recommend some quality compasses from Lee Valley that won't break or move on you.

If you're open to spending some real money, Lee Valley also sells a scribing tool with two levels in it. I've never used it, so I can't offer any insights.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollander View Post
    I was looking at the acuscribe but I heard the newer ones are made much cheaper . A few reviews said they have started 3D printing them and swapped a few metal parts for plastic and that they break very easily. How old is your acuscribe and have you had any issues?

Mine is possibly 10 years old. The body is a sturdy plastic and the joints have brass knobs. I've used it successfully several times, so no problems.

I don't have it in front of me, but mine looks very much like the one currently shown on the web site. That said, the one shown on Amazon does definitely look 3D printed. I don't know if that would affect anything, however. For $15, you don't have a lot to lose and you could always return it if you're unsatisfied.