Thread: wall mounted gun cabinet

wall mounted gun cabinet

My next door neighbor's Dad died and left him with two shot guns. And he asked if I would be interested in making a wall mounted gun cabinet. I looked on line for ideas but did not find very many like what he wanted. I said I would and he brought the guns over so I could get some measurements. It would have been better if he could have left them with me as it would have been easier in getting the size right.

I built the cabinet on the measurements I had and then had him bring the guns over to see if it was going to work.They did fit but it was crowed but he said it would be ok.

i was not happy with it and after a few sleepless nights I decided to make it grow in a way that is really not according to hoyle but I didn't have much choice or start over.

So what I did was take the top rail loose thank the Lord for pocket holes. I than made a short two inch stile for both sides and glued then together and than pocket holed them together.
    I than made a two inch high side for both sides and picket holed them to the main side and than glued them to gather. So the side additions were long grain to long grain on the short stiles which made it a strong joint.

I than covered the inside and out side with 1/4 inch plywood which covered the seams on the sides. The seams on the stiles do show barely but are covered by the door.And I put a 1/4 inch pc on the stiles side which the 1/4 inch plywood butted up against so that looked like it should.

I made the racks or holders for the guns with 1/4 inch ply and nailed them to a short 2x4 so they would stand up. When the guns fit the holders I than made them out of 3/4 hard wood. That took a lot sanding with spindle sander to get them just right.

The door is hinged from the bottom with a piano hinge and a lock on top which is what my neighbor wanted with chains. Any way he was very happy with it with the extra room. I have made a lot of cabinets of all kinds this is my first gun cabinet. It was a learning experiences. And if I was ever to do this again I would certainly have the gun with me if possible to make sure they fit.

They are happy which makes me happy. I know this is not the proper way of fixing it but it did work and again they are happy. I was hoping to get a picture of it up in the house but they went on a two week vacation so will have to wait for that picture but I have some of the cabinet unfinished and finished.

Thanks for looking and sorry for so much blabbing. Bob PS the one picture was to close to the door and the car and tress showed in the picture, sorry for that.
    Gun Cabinet Unfinished. 2018 004.jpgGun Cabinet Stained and Sealed 002.jpgGun Cabinet Stained and Sealed 001.jpg
    Gun Cabinet Unfinished. 2018 001.jpgGun Cabinet Unfinished. 2018 002.jpgGun Cabinet Unfinished. 2018 003.jpg

Looks great! I was thinking of vertical storage but the way you did it is better to display the guns.

3. I like it. I was also thinking it would be vertical, but really like the horizontal mount. Never thought of doing it that way!