Thread: Older Delta lathe - an upgrade?

Older Delta lathe - an upgrade?

This lathe is for sale on c'list - what do you think of it?

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.04.56 AM.jpg

It's a Delta 46-655, for $500, 110 volts.

Right now I have a simpler Delta lathe, sorry I can't find the model number anywhere. Here's a photo of one I grabbed from google -

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.26.58 AM.jpg

(Mine sits on a shop made wooden base, doesn't have the cool metal legs)

Is the speed adjustment on this lathe troublesome or reliable?
    Most of what I turn is spindle work - furniture legs.
    This would likely be an upgrade, but should I save my money and put it towards a new machine?
    If this is just going to be a step on the ladder where in a few years I'll go get a Laguna or PM then I think I should buy the new machine now and save the hassle.

Here's the ad

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tls/d/delta-heavy-duty-wood-lathe/6677380526.html

thank you for educating me. I realize these are basic questions but it's information that helps me make an informed choice.
    Mark
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-23-2018 at 11:49 AM.

I recently purchased a Delta/Rockwell 45-525 that came out of a high school wood shop. It is a tank. perhaps a little older than the one you picture. Plus it has the gap bed, so it can accommodate a slightly greater diameter than 12 inches. I paid $400 and got two face plates. One is threaded for right and left hand threads so it can be used for outboard turning. I picked up a Delta outboard tool rest for $100 off CL. I have had no trouble with the drive or switching speeds. Similar models have sold recently on central PA CL for $600 to $700. I turned a piece of a log into a 13 inch bowl for my wife for her birthday. The lower speed for mine is 300 rpm. I do almost entirely spindle turning. Frankly, I don't see that this lathe can't do whatever I may wish to do. Even though it is already 40 years old, it may well be my forever lathe.

Hi Mark,

>It's a Delta 46-655, for $500, 110 volts.

Looks like a nice lathe, the ad states This is a full size 12" X 36" a.k.a. 16" over gap; 12" over bed by 40" long (less the tail stock footprint). It has some surface rust which should clean off with some effort i.e., ways, exposed metal on tail stock, banjo, etc. For $500 and based on the CL posting it should run; I would make sure you see the lathe RUN (Single-phase, runs on 110 volts) BEFORE you buy it. Move the tail stock up to the head-stock and see if they align (might need MT centers); ask if the bearings need to be replaced i.e., who owned/ran it last? Again, it will need a good cleaning and sanding on all parts and you will likely need/want to repaint all parts, order new bearings, upgrade the electrical switches, acquire more accessories, etc.? I believe these Deltas shipped with a Marathon 1 hp 110/220 motor, with a speed range of 340 to 3200 RPM; is the motor original? In the photos on CL I see 2 tool rests, a banjo but you should look/ask for any and all accessories e.g., ask about the filler gap/bed block for the ways, etc. Ask if any of the cast iron is cracked. Here are some similar lathes that might indicate what this may end up looking like in your shop:

Model 46-612 HD VS lathe
    http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=26335

Model 46-612
    http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot...l.aspx?id=8975

Questions:
    >Is the speed adjustment on this lathe troublesome or reliable?

The answer is lathe specific; you need to run the lathe under power, ask who owned/ran it last? Looks like a mid 1980's lathe; likely a HS woodshop victim that was converted into a HS iPad Lab .

>This would likely be an upgrade, but should I save my money and put it towards a new machine? If this is just going to be a step on the ladder where in a few years I'll go get a Laguna or PM then I think I should buy the new machine now and save the hassle.

It is an upgrade but before you are turning happily between centers I think you will have to drop down some more money. The bottom line is your $500 lathe may turn into $1200+; not sure how old you are but I would return to the prior thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-you-recommend

and reread Reed, John, etc. inputs. They already gave you good advice for these questions e.g., buy the new(er) machine now and save the hassle.

Have fun!

-Ian

P.S. My $1K 1956 Oliver 159-A was HS woodshop victim BUT was ready to turn between centers on day 1 in the shop; I was specifically worried adding another project to my long todo list...

Ian, thanks for another enlightening reply. Yes, I reread the replies to my previous post, this is part of arriving at a conclusion. Back and forth, see what I'm most comfortable with.

I'll let you know what I end up doing, that won't be today or tomorrow.