Thread: Delta Dust Collector

Delta Dust Collector

I am looking at a 3hp 50-852 dust collector but it is 3 phase and if I buy it I would need to replace the motor with a single phase. Any idea what the face type is for that motor? Thanks

I don't know what a 3 hp single phase motor costs, but you might want to see if a VFD to run the three phase motor would be easier and less expensive.

I want to replace the 3 phase motor that is on it with a single phase and I can't see buying a phase converter that would cost just as much as the single phase motor.

You can get a good Chinese VFD (variable frequency drive) for under $200 and have the option of running the motor a little faster (65 hertz) for extra airflow should you want to. Finding a single phase motor to fit may be more difficult or costly than the VFD. The VFD also gives you the option of how fast it ramps up to speed so it draws less amperage when starting. Useful if your shop's electrical supply is stretched.
    Last edited by Peter Christensen; 08-23-2018 at 12:39 PM.

If the motor can be wired for it, running a DC through a vfd is an excellent choice. It allows you to control the startup speed, vary the Hz(speed) and a lot of other parameters. Furthermore, you can attach a RF wireless control to most circuit boards on a vfd to add remote on/off of the dust extractor. Easier than swapping to a 1 phase motor IMO.

Thanks but I'd rather find a single phase motor for it. Seller never back to me though. He bought it not knowing it was 3 phase and has been at $500 for a year now. Guess he's tired of me asking.

Here's a link where you can search for manuals and drawings for Delta equipment - maybe you can figure it out that way.

http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/

Thanks I have that but there are no details there.

You will also be changeing out the contactor too if you do this motor swap more than likely. I would get a vfd or rpc.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hadn't thought about that but likely true. It's been a week and the seller still hasn't gotten back to me.