Thread: Compressor Setup Help - filters, regulators, etc

Compressor Setup Help - filters, regulators, etc

I posted this in the Finishing area as I thought it would be a finishing question, apparently not. It was relocated by a moderator. Hopefully gets some traction here.

I am trying to setup my compressor - 20gal Campbell Hausefeld twin piston - for an LVLP gun I purchased from HomesteadFinishing last year.

From what I understand I will need the following:
    - Oil separator
    - Water separator
    - Regulatore

What I am looking for is good reputable products. It seems I can spent anywhere from $50 to $400 on the three items listed above.

Generally my rule of acquisition is buy it once forever, however, I cannot justify $400 unless the $50 item only last a few months.

I will be using this for varnishes and paint for cabinets.

I am not a pro shop, this is personal work around the house.
    Last edited by Dale Murray; 08-23-2018 at 9:24 AM.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ingersoll or Campbell Hausfield.

The oil separator is actually an oiler. You want that for power tools, but not spraying. Personally, I just put a few drops in the tools at each use. If you want to use an oiler, run a dedicated "dry line" for painting that bypasses the oiler.

As Robert mentioned, it's unlikely you need the oiler/oil separator for a finish spraying situation. Dealing with moisture is more important so in addition to water/moisture filtration, make sure you make things easy to drain condensate from the compressor tank. I use an automatic device for that (IR), but simply extending the drain and having a ball valve in a convenient spot will suffice. Those components are usually 1/4" NPT for most compressors. While name brand is nice, quite honestly, there are a lot of folks who are really happy with the water/moisture filters and regulators available from Harbor Freight...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with the above posts. Your compressor should have a regulator on it already, you shouldn't need an Oiler and a water separator is all you should have to purchase. No need to buy a very expensive water separator, a good 30 to $40 one should be just fine

Thanks much.

I figured that would be the case but wanted to others opinions.

I thought it was an oil AND water separator - to remove any oil particulate that came through the compressor piston cycle.

The compressor does have a regulator and shutoff but the location is a bit annoying due to compressor location; in a corner of the garage under my wall mounted bench. I need to roll it out to see the gauges and adjust pressure. I intend to connect to the nose of the tank where everything is visible and easily accessed.

In the next year or so I may relocate to an above grade conditioned crawlspace adjacent to the garage. When I do I would reinsert the bung on the nose of the compressor and pull air from the bottom by removing the drain valve. I'd then be able to drain the tank and water separator in the same location. I would also permanently plumb the compressor through the garage, etc.

In summation:
    get decent water separator and regulator and dont over think it.

I don't think you want to pull air from the bottom of the tank. That's where solid water accumulates. Just move the regulator with metal pipe, and fittings to where you want it. Use the gray teflon tape. There are plenty of water filters on the auction site with free shipping. Filters, as well as regulators, and such, are sold by the pipe size that they fit. Larger compressors that move more air use larger sizes. No need to upsize from what's on your compressor.

Move the filter and regulator with metal pipe to a convenient place. The longer the pipe in front of the filter the better. If you are overdriving the compressor the output air can be too hot for the water to condense. The cooler the air into the filter the better job it will do of drying the air.
    Never use PVC for compressed gasses.
    Bill D.

It is a Campbell-Hausfeld compressor, just branded Sears.

The nose of the tank has totally different fitting than I imagined.

I get why pulling from the bottom is a bad idea, I'll run a pipe for the drain through the wall too - I am not interested in getting into the crawl space to drain the tank.

I dug through my bin-o-crap that I got with the compressor; this was something I inherited from my grandfather. I was able to piece something together that should work. The dryer may be a bit sketchy, however.

The plywood panel is connected to the base via three 1/4-20 bolts.

IMG_3657.jpg

When I decided to make something permanent I will likely use copper or steel pipe. I'd prefer copper - easier to work it.

copper is a better choice since it does not rust and it is a better conductor of heat so the air will be cooler. Some folks use a full coil of copper, loosely rolled, between the tank and the regulator/filter set. When my brother and I were running that same pump with a 8hp gas engine the filter just passed the steam on to the spraypaint gun. We spliced in a oil cooler which allowed the vapor to condense out in the filter. If we had keep running it that hot I bet the plastic filter bowl would have melted /bent/flowed enough to blow up or off into our faces.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-23-2018 at 10:26 PM.