Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy

New toy

After looking for seems like an eternity for a good used larger lathe, I gave up. Oh I did find some nice PM 3520's within a 3-5 hr. drive one way, but they all wanted premium prices for them. One wanted the same price as a new machine cost.
    Well I got tired of looking and my bride told me to bite the bullet, (within reason), and buy new. After a ton of research and questions I bought a Laguna 1836 Revo. To say I was surprised would be an understatement when it comes to the quality of this machine. I ordered it last Thursday and it arrived yesterday via freight-line. The driver backed right up to my small shop and with lift-gate unloaded.
    Initial inspection of the contents I saw that it was packed tight with a lot of Styrofoam. That puppy wasn't going anywhere.
    In fact it took me longer to get all the contents out of the carton than it did to assemble.
    This machine is stout to say the least.
    I built my own mobile base for it, thanks to Dick Mahany's design and pdf that he sent me. Thank you Dick.
    Now I need to go play.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Sweet - go make some chips, and send pictures.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Congrats!

Just curious, did you get the 110v or 220v? I think I've decided to buy this lathe next year, but am still debating between upgrading my garage to 220v or just going with 110v (but haven't heard a lot from people with 110v so unsure if I'll have regrets).
    Tom

You will love the Revo!! Congrats.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Congrats!

Just curious, did you get the 110v or 220v? I think I've decided to buy this lathe next year, but am still debating between upgrading my garage to 220v or just going with 110v (but haven't heard a lot from people with 110v so unsure if I'll have regrets).
    Tom
    Tom ..... I have the REVO 18/36 110v and think it's great... no problems with power at all...it has no problem turning anything I put on it ...

Thomas, I opted for the 220 since I already have several 220 tools in my shop. There wasn't but $100 between the two.

John, thanks. It was partially your experience and review that I gave the Laguna a closer look. i originally was looking for a used PM 3520 or maybe even a Grizzly G0766, but couldn't find anything used to my liking.

SWE

I have had my REVO 18/36 for nearly 2 years and love using it. And if I wanted a much bigger lathe, I would buy the bigger version of the same lathe, the
    REVO 24/36, even if the Powermatic were the same price. For me, the control panel layout is the best. The panel position and angle make it easy to see and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Tom ..... I have the REVO 18/36 110v and think it's great... no problems with power at all...it has no problem turning anything I put on it ...
    Thanks Barry - that is very helpful in my decision-making process.
    Tom

Congrats on the Revo. If my Jet 1642 2HP ever ran away, I think I'd opt for the 18/36. Enjoy!
    Dick Mahany.

I opted for the G0766 simply for the price. But it came with a wait time. Had I not wanted to wait, or now, with the Tariff jacking the price of the Grizzly near the same as the 1836 I would have gotten the Revo. I like the fact that it has larger bearings and the layout of the display is nicer. I also like that you can mount an extension onto the side of the bed so you can move the banjo out of the way, on the end to extend the bed, or lower on the end to get a larger swing. When I've had some really large blanks and needed to use the tailstock to support them I had to extend it all the way out to have room for the banjo. Even then I was limited to how much I could adjust it. To me the Revo is closer to the Grizzly G0799 than the G0733. I think you'll be very happy with it. I think the biggest reason I didn't go with it was simply I would want the extension, which adds another $500, for doing outboard turning. Being new to this sport I tried to stay within a budget.

Like the other folks here I have been very happy with my 1836. I would suggest you Loctite the allen head set screw that holds the wheel on the tailstock. Mine continued to loosen until I did and can actually cause more serious problems than you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal DaMommio View Post
    Like the other folks here I have been very happy with my 1836. I would suggest you Loctite the allen head set screw that holds the wheel on the tailstock. Mine continued to loosen until I did and can actually cause more serious problems than you would think.
    I've read a lot of comments about this and I've checked mine many, many times and it has never come loose....

I’ve had mine for about 2 months now, it’s pretty awesome. I am wondering though if anyone else is having the same issue with the banjo that I am. It only locks with the arm at 6 o’clock when I’ve tried to adjust it but if I get it tight enough to lock at a better angle then it gets too tight to slide well on the bed.

I probably just need to call Laguna rather than winge online.

Congrats on the new lathe. I have had mine for 18 months and just very very happy with it. Like Neal, I had to thread lock the tailstock set screw. Keep an eye on that. I have not had any problems with the banjo. A few other things, Laguna offers a vacuum adapter for this lathe and it is priced reasonable and is of excellent quality if you have your own vacuum pump. John Keeton started a thread on keeping the spindle lock engaged and I provided an alternate method in that thread. I have since made a cover for the start button when I lock the spindle or use the index lock. The Robust tool rest fit with no problem. I bought three. The rest that comes with the lathe is fine, I just don't like that style. I added ballast to mine. 280# sand plus the plywood. I did a few pullout shelves instead of drawers. Yes, chips will get on them, but brushes off easily.

fullsizeoutput_675.jpg fullsizeoutput_674.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Here are a few things I've added to the lathe.

lathe button 2.jpg
    First image is the button I made for the spindle lock. Made with a t-knob and round magnet bought from the BORG.

Lathe button.jpg
    A closer look.

lathe light.jpg
    Third pic is the light I bought off of the internet. Laguna wanted $150 for their light. This is identical to theirs and only cost $36 shipped to my door. Mounting holes lined up perfectly. I may order another.
    Lathe Mobile base.jpg
    Fourth is a pic of the mobile base that I invested about $45 in. Works great and sure beats the $499 Laguna wants for theirs.

I can't believe the difference this machine is compared to my Midi. I wish that I had heeded the warnings and went ahead and bought a larger lathe to begin with. Of course the funds at the time were the limiting factor. I also wanted to make sure this is what I wanted to do before investing into turning.
    Nobody told me this was gonna be sooooo much fun. Good therapy for this tired soul.

SWE