Thread: Lineberry Factory Carts

Lineberry Factory Carts

Am I missing something with these wooden carts with cast iron wheels? I keep seeing them go for what i consider outrageous prices at auction. People are buying 20-50 of them for $200-300 a piece. This doesnt include the auction fees etc too. Is there big money in these things that I dont know about? Even as a brooklyn hipster's coffee table, I imagine these are only $800-1000 after you refinish them. Just have to wonder whats up when the beat up wooden carts are selling for more than than a widebelt or edgebander etc.

They pay more than that for a coffee table version.

Ever priced a new nutting cart like that?

250 is cheap compared.

They seem to be the kitsch of the day -- a recent trend for people with disposable income. Even Home Depot is advertising something similar in their "Home Decorators Collection."

Remember hatch cover coffee tables? the sad one is folks buying old lathes and other tools with cast iron legs. they scrap the machine and use the legs for tables for yuppies houses.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Remember hatch cover coffee tables? the sad one is folks buying old lathes and other tools with cast iron legs. they scrap the machine and use the legs for tables for yuppies houses.
    Bill D
    Sometimes, some things are better off repurposed than going to scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    They seem to be the kitsch of the day -- a recent trend for people with disposable income. Even Home Depot is advertising something similar in their "Home Decorators Collection."
    Indeed. But the kitsch of ~2016. If they wanted to be on trend, they'd be churning out resin "river tables". Otherwise known as "how to molest a perfectly good wood slab".

I had to look up Lineberry cart.

Ha, I'm really familiar with those, that was my only lost time industrial accident.

I was working in a press room as a shear operator. I had cut about 5,000 steel strips and placed them on the cart, which resulted in a cart weight of over a ton.

I was rolling the cart backwards when I managed to have the end caster ride up over the steel cap of my boot, and continue on past the cap where it was now on the top of my foot.

Some screaming later, it was tipped up by the lift truck operator and off I went to the first aid station and then the hospital. Nothing broken, just seriously sprained and 4 days off work.

When they closed the factory they probably tossed 500 of those carts in the dumpster. As one of the overhead crane operators I had dumped thousands of steel bar clamps and wood handscrews in the steel scrap and garbage bins when we closed the wood furniture division of the factory...............Such a waste..........Rod.

Check out U-Line to get an idea of what an industrial strength cart cost.

Rod, that sounds pretty awful.

I guess i never stopped to think businesses still moved material primarily by cart. My own ignorance of how things work, i suppose. I assumed most businesses that would need 20-50 carts would already have conveyor systems or better lifts in place. Thats what made me think of repurposing them into coffee tables, but the numbers didnt make a ton of sense when wayfair, home depot, and everyone else is selling cart tables for $280-600.

Agreed, All you have to do is look on all the retail interior sites on the net. Those carts buffed up a bit and with a couple coats of oil on them are listed for 2K and up all over the place. Even the import knockoffs are outrageous.