Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Veritas & Other Planes

I know that workshop heaven in the UK sells a Quangsheng number 1 but they don't ship to north America.
    https://www.workshopheaven.com/quang...ing-plane.html

Woodcraft also sells a number one. I believe it's also made by Quangsheng. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...702d3baa000a34

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I know that workshop heaven in the UK sells a Quangsheng number 1 but they don't ship to north America.
    https://www.workshopheaven.com/quang...ing-plane.html

Woodcraft also sells a number one. I believe it's also made by Quangsheng. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...702d3baa000a34
    Yup. That's the one I bought.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I always thought a number 1 would be nice. Not so much because it is needed but because they can.
    My #1 is from Lie Nielsen and has, at times, been the best plane for the job.

For me, keeping a bunch of different blades for a bevel up plane is more of a hassle than having a BD plane with a chip breaker. In a few cases my bevel up planes have lifted some big hunks of wood. Mostly it is from some of the squirrel grain pine that is common here in the Pacific Northwest.

There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3
    It is one of my often used sizes. This does seem like a natural for modern manufacturing as the #3 isn't a common find on the old tool market.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Are there others out there that favor a light camber on their block plane irons.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-25-2018 at 10:19 PM.

I can't imagine someone wanting to surface a board with a little block plane like that. It makes my fingers hurt just to think about working like that. Surely not for any extended amount of work. We have bench planes. They are designed with that kind of work in mind.

Then you might prefer this image Warren; a wooden bodied high angle smoothing plane. Another pet hate of yours.

Best regards; Stewie.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-26-2018 at 8:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Me! I blame Rob! Perhaps we can get a group rate on a divorce attorney?
    Maybe it could become a catalog item; easy to find that way - I mean, you've already got the website bookmarked - and we can be confident that Rob would select only the best attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Maybe it could become a catalog item; easy to find that way - I mean, you've already got the website bookmarked - and we can be confident that Rob would select only the best attorneys.
    ...only the best attorneys with stellar customer service records like his.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Are there others out there that favor a light camber on their block plane irons.
    Slight camber w/radiused corners on a 45º cut angle for appropriate smoothing & flushing. Straight edge on 37º cut angle for shooting small stuff & anything within the width of the blade.
    DSC05017.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I can't imagine someone wanting to surface a board with a little block plane like that. It makes my fingers hurt just to think about working like that. Surely not for any extended amount of work. We have bench planes. They are designed with that kind of work in mind.
    THIS:
    DSC05011.jpg

Blog Entries
    I wish you guys would quit posting gloats about buying their tools.
    Rob Lee has enough of my money all ready.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-26-2018 at 1:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Swanson View Post
    Is that a new finish on the lever cap? It looks like it's also powder coated like the rest of the plane. Mine has a glossy paint on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Is that a new finish on the lever cap? It looks like it's also powder coated like the rest of the plane. Mine has a glossy paint on it.
    It has a textured / pebbled finish like the body of the plane & the other Veritas plane lever caps.. Not sure when that began.
    B.

Blog Entries
    My 40th anniversary plane arrived today and it’s great. It has a large squirrel tail type cap iron that makes it easy to hold in your hand. The ion is around an inch wide. Mouth is very tight. This is perfect for tuning 1/4” strips on strip-built boats and surfboards. A few pics with my glasses for size reference. Note: I have large hands.

81FB3648-51BD-40BB-AF19-EA65D595EEB2.jpg95304C4F-A331-437E-9B84-70C8B6297F8F.jpgFCF1429A-9B01-494E-89BD-639FB3C80801.jpg396F9826-82B0-491F-9F6C-C684BEEBDDC6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Stewie,

Took this long to get an answer - but the wood is not ebony, but "leadwood". We'll be correcting the web page!

Cheers -

Rob

Thank Rob. Appreciate the feedback.

regards Stewie;