Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Veritas & Other Planes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    We do leave obsolete or discontinued products up on the web for a number of years, so customers can still access replacement parts and instructions. Normally they do this by searching for the product.
    And thank you so much for doing so. This ha been helpful to me many times.

P.s. A pox upon you Hilton for bringing this little plane to my attention!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    The shooting fence is a nice addition there.
    AAARGHH!!! Stop it!!!!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-23-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2. I've used the small bevel up plane and I didn't like it. Nothing beats a bevel down plane with the cap iron set correctly to plane difficult wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3. I don't get why they never made it because it's such a nice size to use.
    I always thought a number 1 would be nice. Not so much because it is needed but because they can.

They are getting to know one another.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. I'm waiting for the detail chisels to get back in stock. Also looking for a 3/4 and 1" and those keep getting moved out.

Jessica writes:

I've used the small bevel up plane and I didn't like it. Nothing beats a bevel down plane with the cap iron set correctly to plane difficult wood.
    Really? Seems to me that nearly 150 years of block plane creation and refinement state otherwise. That's the reason they were created, and also the reason that their larger cousins have found such favor today, that is their ability to plane difficult woods. Now, if you want to throw a higher angle frog into the mix, in an infill with a tight mouth, then maybe I could buy into that notion, but to say that bevel up planes are inferior to bevel down planes for planing difficult woods flies in the face of 150 years of plane development and evolution.

What leads you to come to this conclusion in your personal use of bevel up planes?

I've used the small bevel up plane and I didn't like it. Nothing beats a bevel down plane with the cap iron set correctly to plane difficult wood.
    I could not agree more. I grew up using a block plane but stopped using it altogether when I got comfortable with the double iron. That was 1976.

Block planes were designed for carpenters to carry in their aprons or belts.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 08-24-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    What leads you to come to this conclusion in your personal use of bevel up planes?
    Let me put it another way. Nothing beats a bevel down plane for ease of planing, at least not for me. I don't have to worry about the bevel angle or the mouth opening. I just set the cap iron correctly and off I go. Another big plus for me is that I can easily adjust the depth on the fly with one finger. These are the reasons why a bevel down plane is superior for me. I still won't like a bevel up smoother even if the whole world likes them.

Jessica,

Thanks. Was just trying to understand if it was personal preference on your part, or some difficulty in the design of BU up planes that I was not aware of. Appreciate the clarification.

It is really a personal preference thing when it comes to BD and BU. I have a #4 and the rest BUs which are also my go to planes, some fitted with a 50* blade (62* cutting angle) when needed for reverse grain wood. With well behaving wood, the BUs are used. Frankly, whether it is 45* or 62*, they are harder to push than 37*. I know someone who lives with shooting endgrain occasionally using a BD.

When I fit inset doors or chamfer edges, I prefer a block plane, or when I work with short members or inlay work.

Simon

Rob, needed a small pocket plane and was ready to get the LN violin plane and then 2 days ago saw the 40th anniversary pocket and could not resist, and because I will be using it outside the stainless Steel sealed the deal, now on its way, can't wait.
    Hope it works as good as it looks.
    Dennis.

Hey, Jessica does anyone make a STEEL small pocked plane the size of the 40th anniv. plane with BD.?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I could not agree more. I grew up using a block plane but stopped using it altogether when I got comfortable with the double iron. That was 1976.

Block planes were designed for carpenters to carry in their aprons or belts.

https://workingbyhand.wordpress.com/...-block-planes/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I always thought a number 1 would be nice. Not so much because it is needed but because they can.
    Peter - I bought a Wood River #1 from Woodccraft for around $100. (I knew I'd never get a Stanley.) I use it on small items - sometimes it's preferable to a block plane. It's almost exactly the size of my LN102.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”