Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Veritas & Other Planes

Guys. Slow down the purchase! The pocket plane is out of stock!
    Anyone can give a review?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Anyone can give a review?

I posted some pics to this thread earlier. I build strip-built wood boats and I have tried a LOT of small planes. This one is tops. It fits the hand very well. Keep in mind, the iron is only 3/4” wide and so this does not replace your standard sized block plane, but it is perfect for smaller tasks. For strip built boats you use strips 1/4 to 1/2” wide, so this is perfect for that task. There are many little tasks it could be used for.

The iron is tiny, and tapers to the back. It will be easy to flatten for sure. I doubt it will fit in a honing jig without the small blade adapter. The adjuster is a Norris style and works very well.

Not much else to say. I bought the stainless one and it is well machined.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I posted some pics to this thread earlier. I build strip-built wood boats and I have tried a LOT of small planes. This one is tops. It fits the hand very well. Keep in mind, the iron is only 3/4” wide and so this does not replace your standard sized block plane, but it is perfect for smaller tasks. For strip built boats you use strips 1/4 to 1/2” wide, so this is perfect for that task. There are many little tasks it could be used for.

The iron is tiny, and tapers to the back. It will be easy to flatten for sure. I doubt it will fit in a honing jig without the small blade adapter. The adjuster is a Norris style and works very well.

Not much else to say. I bought the stainless one and it is well machined.
    Hmmm. Perhaps I need to place it in the wishlist then. The fence is out of stock currently. With the upcoming Nx60....
    Oh the pain with choices!

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I have just ordered the 40 Ann version, and I blame Malcolm, people should not be allowed to post pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    I have just ordered the 40 Ann version, and I blame Malcolm, people should not be allowed to post pictures!
    Like you wouldn't have noticed it in a flyer or the website anyway.

(Resisting... But Free S/H!)

I check the What's New pretty much every day just so I don't miss out. Today there's a new beam compass.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...14&cat=51&ap=1

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Like you wouldn't have noticed it in a flyer or the website anyway.
    For some strange reason (also known as impatience) I could not find the anniversary version on the website, it was Malcolm's pics that made me want one. I eventually found it by searching for pocket plane. I had to find it on the website to order it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I check the What's New pretty much every day just so I don't miss out. Today there's a new beam compass.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...14&cat=51&ap=1
    Oh man. I wish you hadn't told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    There's just one plane missing from the Veritas assortment and that's a number 3. I don't get why they never made it because it's such a nice size to use.
    Jessica,

Try the Small BU smoother.
    It's a beauty for nice, effortless smoothing.

If you want a BD version, you could always get a Stanley...lap it...and add a nicer blade.
    Or get a LN.

note: I actually don't have a steel bodied bevel down smoother...maybe I'll get one someday.

I finally unboxed my 40th anniversary pocket plane...it's a beauty!

At first, I was a bit disappointed that adjusting the blade extender knob runs right into the cap.
    However, then I realized that the plane's size puts in some limitations on knob placement.

I have a feeling that this will work excellently well.

Besides...Derek's never really been wrong about his tool assessment.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Jessica,

Try the Small BU smoother.
    It's a beauty for nice, effortless smoothing.

If you want a BD version, you could always get a Stanley...lap it...and add a nicer blade.
    Or get a LN.

note: I actually don't have a steel bodied bevel down smoother...maybe I'll get one someday.
    I actually just bought an old Record #3 made in 1956 and in very good condition from a Dutch second hand tool dealer to replace my Stanley #3. I used to have a Record #3 from the early 50's that was stolen (so I bought the Stanley) and I preferred it over the Stanley as I thought the body and frog were better made. It was also a bit heavier and that added some welcome extra mass to smoothing work. The blade of this Record is almost used though up so I ordered a Veritas replacement blade in PM-V11 steel.

Mon rabot de poche est arrivé. Sorry couldn't resist, it is the first time I have received Veritas packaging with French labeling.

On order I was told shipping 28 Sep, then I got an email advising shipping date 5 Nov, then on Thursday (27 Sep) it shipped with a PM-V11 as well.

It sure is pretty.
    Pocket Plane.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    Mon rabot de poche est arrivé. Sorry couldn't resist, it is the first time I have received Veritas packaging with French labeling.

On order I was told shipping 28 Sep, then I got an email advising shipping date 5 Nov, then on Thursday (27 Sep) it shipped with a PM-V11 as well.

It sure is pretty.
    Pocket Plane.jpg
    Vous êtes très observant M Patric!

Salut,

Rob
    (À Laval, en traîne de préparer pour l’ouvert de notre premier magasin au Québec )

After a draining day (2 patients with snapped teeth!), I finally put my shiny 40th anniversary plane to use...on a spoon, of all things.

It's pure happiness.
    I might order another one.

Also, Jessica, I'm glad to see a female neanderbuddy on the creek.
    I think that you'll be thrilled with the PMV-11 blade.
    Since I got my first one, I've exclusively have it on almost all my metal bodied planes (mostly Lee Valley except a Lie Nielson 103).
    It takes a great edge and sharpens well.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Also, Jessica, I'm glad to see a female neanderbuddy on the creek.
    You should see my hubbies face when I drool over a nice tool

I think that you'll be thrilled with the PMV-11 blade.
    I have the Veritas low angle block plane and the apron plane with a PM-V11 blade. I also have one in my Record #3. They are very nice and hold an edge for quite some time.