Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Veritas & Other Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Just put a batch (pre-production) through the shop in the last few weeks - none made it out....as the polishing was not up to snuff....

We're getting there.....but slowly.

Cheers -

Rob
    Now, that is the worst bit of information found in this whole thread!

Simon

'twas as I thought! Probably for the best. I have the DX60, so I don't need the NX, but i doubt I could resist a good deal on one.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    We're getting there.....but slowly.
    I've read the same thing a couple of years ago. I still don't get why you chose a material that's clearly so incredibly difficult to work with instead of stainless steel. From one business owner to another, it makes absolutely no sense to put that much time in a product that may never see the light of day again.

FWIW, I really appreciate the nickel plating and love the aesthetic of it --- it would probably be more comfortable to use than the tiny plane which came w/ my Chopstick Master from Bridge City Tools, so I'm really, really tempted.

Busy week for Lee Valley-more new stuff just popped up, including a new shooting board and a shooting board fence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Busy week for Lee Valley-more new stuff just popped up, including a new shooting board and a shooting board fence.
    Greg is on the list of people that will be required to find my divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Greg is on the list of people that will be required to find my divorce.
    Me! I blame Rob! Perhaps we can get a group rate on a divorce attorney?

I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon, got excited, and immediately Googled "how much money can i make by selling blood?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon, got excited, and immediately Googled "how much money can i make by selling blood?"
    We might be lucky if he decides to run another Free Tool give-away!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Yes - releasing the new catalog this week!

Lots of new stuff to be discovered yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I've read the same thing a couple of years ago. I still don't get why you chose a material that's clearly so incredibly difficult to work with instead of stainless steel. From one business owner to another, it makes absolutely no sense to put that much time in a product that may never see the light of day again.
    If you don't try new things, you don't learn new things.....

The material is a good material - it's the handwork involved with polishing that gives fits. As an aside, this October will make ten years since we released that plane. I've had one sitting outside on a windowsill at home since then.....

Will be time to clean it up (it's a chocolate brown color (surface iron)) and see what it looks like. Will have to video tape that..... hope it works out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Yes - releasing the new catalog this week!

Lots of new stuff to be discovered yet.....
    I expect so. Now that my order for the anniversary pocket plane has shipped, you can go ahead and re-release the anniversary marking gauge! Might as well get me to place two orders in the same week! Sincerely though, thanks for everything you do Rob-you are the best!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    I saw Rob Lee's note on the NX possibly being available for sale soon
    Veritas customer service said the same thing to me about 4 or 5 years ago. Let's be honest here people, at this point it's beyond ridiculous. If anyone really thinks it will ever be for sale again you must also believe in leprechauns. Here's what it says on the Lee Valley page: "Due to a manufacturing delay on the body of the NX60 Block Plane, these products are temporarily unavailable." A delay and temporarily suggest a relatively short period of time. They've been dangling this carrot in front of people's noses for years and it's completely dishonest. Don't get me wrong, I love my Veritas planes but the right thing for them to do would be to completely remove it from their website until they actually reach the point they can reliably produce it so that it can be sold.

Jessica, if it bothers you, don't visit the webpage for the NX60. Live and let live.

It is clearly not dishonest as Rob mentioned they tried producing another batch recently. No one is being harmed by the existence of the NX60 on their catalogues, and if anything, it teaches the rest of us a skill we could do well to learn - wait to purchase tools .

15. Calling it a temporary delay for several years is very dishonest. If I had problems for several years to produce a chair in large batches for example, I wouldn't let people think it's going to be available again soon. I would remove all mention of it. That's being honest. This isn't. Intent is not the same as a real world result.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 08-22-2018 at 5:16 PM.