Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimlet question- which ones to get?

Gimlet question- which ones to get?

Luke's mini workbench thread got me thinking about getting some gimlets.

1. What sizes are good?

2. Where to get them?

I have a set on order (the french ones) from TheBestThings, but was considering getting some Star-M gimlets too.
    Mainly, I'd like to make some holdfast holes somewhat silently, or start a hole in a soundboard for a rosette.

I just don't often have a brace and bit with me...just a bit big and bulky.

If you already have a good set of brace bits, you can just make a wooden handle with a tapered square hole to recieve the bit. Place the bit in the hole and tap the back of the handle as you would a plane iron to retract the bit into the handle. Works fairly well.

The ones I have are a brand/product called "mini bit" which is easy to find here in Japan, and they're a little easier to drill straight with than my past attempt of auger bits in wood handles that I described above. Probably best suited to soft woods though.

I love gimlets, but don't know of many good brands besides that unfortunately.

For years, I've had the twisted wire gimlets sold by Lee Valley. They work great and are inexpensive. That said, I did just buy about 30 assorted vintage wood handled gimlets at an auction. I plan to integrate those into my shop and give the wire ones to my wife since she steals them often anyway.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I thought gimlets were best for pretty small holes?

I got a set from Garrett Wade a few years back for cub scouts, but ending up using the eggbeaters instead.
    (the yankee drill is another good tool for small pilot holes)

For big holes (3/4" dog holes), the brace and bit is a very tough combination to beat. That works very well.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 10-03-2018 at 9:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    For years, I've had the twisted wire gimlets sold by Lee Valley. They work great and are inexpensive. That said, I did just buy about 30 assorted vintage wood handled gimlets at an auction. I plan to integrate those into my shop and give the wire ones to my wife since she steals them often anyway.
    I can second the ones from Lee Valley. I use them all the time.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I think I have the same set ordered, but from TheBestThings (they were on sale, and I was ordering a Nogent Sabatier for a project).

The Star-M gimlets looked pretty interesting.
    I guess I'll just make sure to keep a spare brace on me, for boring purposes.

Blog Entries
    My gimlets have either been from ebay or found at yard sales and antique shops.

Here is my latest find from ebay:

Gimlet Set.jpg

The Star M hand augers look convenient. My only complaint is there isn't a 19mm size. 19mm is almost an exact match for 3/4" for those of us who still work in inches.

Here are some of my other gimlets:

Gimlets.jpg

The long one has a rasp shaft and is of German origin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Years ago I got a quality small diameter set from Highland Hardware in Atlanta (now Highland Woodworking I think) and another from Woodcraft. I use them constantly. I more recently ordered some from Amazon - be careful!! Out of three sets from different suppliers two were pure junk and the other barely functional.

Blog Entries
    One or two of mine were a bit dodgy when first acquired. The lead threads were messed up a bit. A fine edged file took care of that with a little effort. The one with the light colored wood handle is from a tool holder. Made it its own handle and all is well.

One thing that is convenient is it is easy to center pilot holes on hardware such as hinges. One has to be careful doing this since the taper on the gimlet might be bigger than the hole on a hinge once it gets started.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Years ago I got a quality small diameter set from Highland Hardware in Atlanta (now Highland Woodworking I think) and another from Woodcraft. I use them constantly. I more recently ordered some from Amazon - be careful!! Out of three sets from different suppliers two were pure junk and the other barely functional.
    Seriously, just get the Lee Valley version. The set is only $14 and you get 7 for that price. Way cheaper than on Ebay and they work out the box.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

It's worth mentioning also that for small holes, a bird-cage (4 sided) awl, or better yet a 3 sided awl (might have to make this yourself as noone sells one to my knowledge) works wonderfully and doesn't run the risk of splitting. I use a small scratch awl converted to a 3-sided cutting awl for drilling nail and screw holes. For medium size holes (1/8" - 1/4"), Japanese 3 sided and 4 sided hand drills ("kiri") also work, though they're a bit difficult to use well. I imagine if you get good at them, you'd also be able to make a hand-drill friction fire as a bonus

Make my own..usually involves Beefeater's Gin....and a couple Ice cubes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Seriously, just get the Lee Valley version. The set is only $14 and you get 7 for that price. Way cheaper than on Ebay and they work out the box.
    I have a hobby of buying a variety of tools for evaluation and comparison. Well, maybe it's more of a disease...

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a hobby of buying a variety of tools for evaluation and comparison. Well, maybe it's more of a disease...

JKJ
    +1 on the enjoyment of buying restoring and using of various tools. Over time my attempts have been to keep it in check. Though for some reason telling myself that a tool can be resold for more has led me to surrender to temptations. Recently purchased a saw set and a spoke shave that are rather redundant. Though the spoke shave bears a maker's mark that hasn't come across my path before. The script like letters do not seem to form a coherent word. There is what looks like a diamond under the lettering.

The blade was touched up and it produces a respectable shaving.

The saw set was a Stanley 42X. Sadly it has a broken screw. Being it is a 10-28 thread and most of the screw is not threaded, another screw will likely have to be adapted to do the job. It seems finding screws that are not threaded the whole length isn't easy these days. Then try to find something that has a slotted oval head.

When it comes to gimlets, if one was seen at a sale or store, if it was priced reasonably it would likely take a ride home with me.

jtk

Matt,

I've been fitfully following this conversation, but haven't had much to offer. But...one part of your original post has confused me every time I've opened it. Gimlets are, in general, tools for pretty small holes; but you refer to making holdfast holes. Do you have in mind pilot holes to guide a larger bit, or are there now holdfasts with really thin shanks? Or were you talking about both gimlets and auger bits?

Now that I'm on the soapbox, I'll say that I've purchased a handful at yard sales but have found that they were often worn and didn't cut well; and that I tend, if making small holes by hand, to use a push drill or an eggbeater (lately with drill points rather than conventional twist bits).