Thread: Want to buy a dial indicator guide (already own dial indicator)

Want to buy a dial indicator guide (already own dial indicator)

Hello all,

I already own an almost-brand-new dial indicator. I would like to buy a dial indicator dial for use with a table saw, jointer, etc. the model predicted in the attached is the style I’d like to purchase.

it appears that most all of these guides are sold with a dial indicator included (which I already own). Any suggestions of where to find this type of guide without the dial indicator?

-Austin
    9E6C7B99-35BD-4137-AA73-9C8FBDEB613A.jpeg

Use the mitre gauge from your table saw. For the jointer you can use a magnetic indicator stand. It is also useful for checking the drill press and lathe.

Blog Entries
    I use a simple wooden block mounted with wood screws to my miter gauge. I have shimmed the miter gauge bar with uhmw tape along the full length of the bar, so there is no side to side movement.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You may want to buy a "dial test indicator" as well. It allows measurements in the opposite plane of a dial indicator.
    For most of what ww's do accuracy is not important, just repeatability. Even a worn Chinese indicator will be good enough for most stuff.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-22-2018 at 9:54 AM.

Build your own. Takes two pieces of wood, a 1/4-20 socket head screw, carriage bolt, fender washer, and wing nut. Original plans were in a shop tip in either Woodsmith, or ShopNotes. Several web sites have pictures, and most likely ther arte you tube videos. My first came from John Whites Book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines. Works a little different as it clamps to miter gauge head. I give the Woodsmith/ShopNotes versions for gifts

Blog Entries
    Ditto on the wooden version. I added screws to adjust the fit and set in the miter slot.

TS Alignment Tool (1).jpgTS Alignment Tool (5).jpgTS Alignment Tool (6).jpg22124 Alingment 004.jpg22124 Alingment 012.jpg

A half hours effort yields a tool I have used for years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler