Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations

Looking for recommendations

I've recently upgraded my lathe from a bench top to a Robust AB. My Oneway Talon was great for my little Delta but not quite big enough for my AB. I'm looking for a bigger chuck. Something able to hold a 24" bowl blank while coring. I'm torn between sticking with Oneway and moving up to a Stronghold, or I'm looking at the Vicmarc VM150. Budget isn't an issue. Looking for input to help with the decision. Thanks in advance.

I prefer the Vicmark 120, very stout, more affordable than the 150. Not to knock the oneway, its a good chuck but the Vic edges it out in my opinion I like the dovetail arrangement and sealed gearing mechanism.

I have seen the Vicmarc 150 in action coring, massive chuck with massive jaws. If you select the right sized jaws for your work, it will probably see you for anything you wish to turn.

I have the 120 and have used it a bit on heavy stuff, as it uses the same jaws as the 150 I cannot see the value in getting a 150. If I was a production turner and needed to save time, then yes, maybe.

Both chucks have the ability to use the Vicmarc locking ring that allows you to turn in reverse, this assumes you have a Vicmarc lathe with their spindle with the locking groove. Excellent safety feature.

If you go to their website and view the 120 chuck, the reverse picture is actually the 150, you can see the ring lock groove.

https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option...category_id=14

Mick.

I don't core but my Stronghold with #4 jaws has handled some good size chunks of green wood on Powermatic 3520B and also a 33"D 40 pound platter using 5" tenon. I think there is more flexibility with the serrated jaws and more holding strength. I also have a Talon with #3 jaws for mid size pieces as a second thought.

I have the Vicmarc 120 chuck with the standard set of jaws (2 1/2") that come with it and the 18" adjust-a-jaw set (Cole jaws). I'll be adding more jaws in the future but wanted to get a feel for which ones I would want before I ordered. I had some very wet yellow birch that was a little more than 20" in diameter. I started off using the face plate so I could make a mortise for the 2 1/2" jaws. Being as small as they are I did use the tailstock to support the pieces. I didn't weight them until after I turned them into rough bowls but I did after. the bowls are 1 1/4" thick about 18" in diameter and 8" tall. When I weighed them they were about 14 lbs. When I got to the point where I couldn't use the tailstock I would say they were close to 20 lbs each. The 120 handled them just fine. I would guess they were 50 lbs or more when I started. I'm still new at this so I can't say that another brand wouldn't of handled it but I'm completely satisfied with my Vicmarc.

I did debate getting the 150 but I'm not sure what it would of gained me. Both take the same jaws and the 120 is recommended for 16" to 24" swing lathes. I guess if you plan on outboard turning really large stuff. If it had more range then I could see an advantage but I don't think it does. I think the larger diameter of the 150 could get in the way of turning smaller projects. If money isn't an issue then I would start off with the 120 and get a 150 down the road if you think you need it.

I’ve got a Robust AB and use both Talon and Stronghold chucks with it. Coring (Macnaughton) I use the stronghold with #4 equivalent jaws. I prefer the smooth dovetail jaws for both, but also have Oneway’s profile jaws and tower jaws as well. I find the best, most secure hold on large green blanks with the smooth dovetail jaws and a properly sized tenon.
    I prefer the open back of the Oneway chucks - makes blowing out any dust a simple matter. Actually, I find that its rarely necessary.
    I do like the vicmark jaws and have three sets - some that get used fairly often. They are slightly more robust (they work with a set of oneway versa slides for vic jaws - no longer available, I’m told)
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 08-23-2018 at 2:52 PM.

I use a Vicmarc 120 with the 9" and 8" jaws 9n my AB. No issues with even 25"x8"deep bowls, coring and all. I think about a 11x17, but truly can't justify (budget is an issue here

The Woodturning Store is currently having a 25% off sale on their Hurricane 125 chucks & jaws. Here's pic of the their extra large dovetail jaws, a real hunk of steel.

dt3.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I have used a variety of chucks at other folks shops and I am convinced that my Hurricane's both the 100 and the 125 are the absolute equivalent of the Vicmark in terms of use and obviously a superior price point. Let me also point out excellent customer service from the Woodturning Store.

10. I much prefer the design of the Vicmarcs to the Oneways. The Hurricanes are a clone of the Vicmarc's, and are well engineered. I like the closed back, the heft, the pinion wrench is much easier to use, and the quality is there for sure. I have 4 of them in my shop, and will likely add another two in time. I also have 5 Supernova2's, but prefer the Hurricanes.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have to agree with Roger the Vicmarc 120 is a hard chuck to beat. I also purchased a large Hurricane and it is every bit as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kuznicki View Post
    I've recently upgraded my lathe from a bench top to a Robust AB. My Oneway Talon was great for my little Delta but not quite big enough for my AB. I'm looking for a bigger chuck. Something able to hold a 24" bowl blank while coring. I'm torn between sticking with Oneway and moving up to a Stronghold, or I'm looking at the Vicmarc VM150. Budget isn't an issue. Looking for input to help with the decision. Thanks in advance.
    The size of the chuck should be based on the size of the work and not the size of the lathe. For 16" and under a Talon is just fine. I have about five or six Talon chucks and I use them or VM-100 for approximately 84.7% of what I turn on my Robust AB. I Also have a couple Stronghold chucks and a couple VM-120 chucks. A smaller chuck allows much better access to the bottom part of a turning. The smaller chucks grip a turning just as well as the larger chucks.

A VM-120 will work just as well as the VM-150. The main difference is the quick grip feature on the VM-150. A stronghold with #4 jaws will do just fine for coring, but if you want larger jaws, the VM-120 works with all the jaws that the VM-150 uses. If you're new to coring you might consider using a faceplate.
    Bill

Faceplate?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kuznicki View Post
    Not a scroll chuck recommendation, but for very large work don't forget about the venerable face plate! It does waste a bit more wood but sure is "robust".

Lissi Oland told me she always used a faceplate and she cored and turned the largest pieces I've ever seen done. (She cored and roughed blanks with a chain saw.)
    lisse_oland_big_blank.jpg

She often turned bowls in excess of 24" like this one. (You can see one of her faceplates in the pictures.)
    http://www.olandcraft.com/largest-piece-yet.html

Sadly, Lissi is no longer with us. I'm so glad I was able to visit her several times in Brasstown before she moved back to Denmark.

JKJ

+1 on faceplates for big work

The off brand copies of the vicmarc are not the same quality inside. They look the same outside and even take the same jaws and inserts but inside they just aren't the same. Unless they have changed. I have 2 different brands of copies and both had problems with the pinion gear wearing out. The replacement parts didn't even match and had to be filed to work correctly. Stick with the Vicmac. That being said do the Oneway chucks all take the same chuck key. If they do then that's what I would consider. If not, I love my Vicmarc's. The nicest thing about the Vicmarc is it takes a 10mm hex wrench instead of a geared key. If you ever break one, lose one or wear out the tip it's easy to just go the hardware and get another. If you the same happens for Oneway your screwed unless you can get a new key from Oneway.