Thread: Toot Toot

Toot Toot

Tooting my own Horn. I was awarded a cover of the day for a Paint Pour I did a few weeks ago.
    Untitled.jpg
    It is a piece of silver maple which I had dyed blue and was unhappy with the look. I think it turned out way better. Lots of people are doing "dirty paint pours" but I don'd consider this the same because my process is quite different than that process. I like to pour from the top down and use a small cup with holes to provide me with the ability to somewhat control where the paint goes and how much I apply. If you are interested in more details you might consider checking my blog.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    Nice job tooty toot.

Looks great, never heard of this process though. I'll have to look it up. Nice form also.

I like the 'flow' pattern of the paint, which I don't think could be done without using the cup with holes in it... Very creative!

You don't want me tooting......

robo hippy

Thanks Robo! patterns such as these can be attained by a 'dirty pour' as well but I like the idea that with the 'cup bottom' pour I can add a little more here or there. Oh and I can't argue with your last statement!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Really nice form and painting. https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com/ Check it out. Some great ideas and good explanations of how too.

Thanks Dave, it would be cool if others might try and show their pieces here.
    Pete

For anyone who is still interested, here's a sneak peak of the piece I have just completed this photo was taken while the paint was still moving but the finished product looks quite similar.
    IMG_6934.jpg
    Pete

Well I don't think anyone is more surprised than I am that I have again been given the honour of another cover on Wow. This piece is one I am really happy with the colors and the grain although it was pointed out that if I had coloured the center bowl a vibrant yellow or some such it might have make it fit the title a little better. I left the center natural because the owner of the Gallery that displays some of my work likes a wood piece to easily be identified as wood.Untitled.jpg
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Well I don't think anyone is more surprised than I am that I have again been given the honour of another cover on Wow. This piece is one I am really happy with the colors and the grain although it was pointed out that if I had coloured the center bowl a vibrant yellow or some such it might have make it fit the title a little better. I left the center natural because the owner of the Gallery that displays some of my work likes a wood piece to easily be identified as wood.
    You did better leaving the center natural. It can be seen as 'brighter' or 'hotter' the color it is rather than yellow. I see the center as white-hot which is hotter/brighter than yellow. And I would second the feeling that there ought to be some acknowledgement of the wood. If it is all colored, with the 'wood-ness' concealed, it might as well be clay or any other material.

Thanks for the input Robert. I just love to have other turners make suggestions or recommendations but like most of us I usually choose my own path given all the choices . . . .
    Pete