Thread: Powermatic III Spindle Sander

Powermatic III Spindle Sander

Never had one. Would this be worth buying for $100? Looks to be in good condition from the picture. Local owner selling for son in California and doesn't know much about it.

Blog Entries
    Can't seem to find anything on a PM III. Is there a better model number or a picture?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Its pretty similar to the Jet model that sells for $400-500. For $100, doesnt seem like you can go too far wrong. I will say I remember that model sander from PM having an awful design for the the oscillation of the spindle. Its prone to breaking and you will be SOL for replacing the part. If memory serves me, its a plastic gear that strips very easily. Do a google search, or search here. Its a Powermatic 014 OSS.

Patrick hit the nail on the head, it has issues. It was during the time Powermatic made a lower line of fairly sketchy machines like the 044 bandsaw. I also know where you or the seller are getting the III, it was the trademark they used displayed on machines right next to the Powermatic trademark at the time that looked sorta like a stylized F with three I's after it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You're right on that label and after doing some research I do believe it is the Model 14. I decided to pass on it.

I have a Delta 31-390 edge sander with the spindle sander so I really didn't need it anyway,