Thread: Storing tools non-climate controlled

Storing tools non-climate controlled

I'm planning on moving and building out a new shop fairly soon and will need to store my large tools (bandsaw, jointer, tablesaw, etc) for 2-3 months. I live in the southern US, where it's going to be hot and humid nearly all the time.

Will I be OK storing this stuff in a non climate controlled area? I can get a controlled space but it's about $75 a month more expensive and it's a little harder to get to.

I'd feel better about not being controlled if I was using it, but it'll be sitting where I can't really get to it to rewax anything. Will I be OK waxing the heck out of it and leaving it alone for a while?

You could, perhaps, coat the surfaces with a thicker "petroleum" product, not unlike many tools are shipped with. That stuff handles crossing the ocean in containers where the humidity is also "salty".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How much work do you want to do after you remove them from storage?
    So far, the best stuff I have found for long term storage is LPS 3. It goes on like WD-40, but after a day or two, it sets to a waxy, greasy, coating. Kind of like cosmoline in an aerosol can.
    I've used the Boeshields products, and they're definitely nice, but LPS 3 is a step or four above Boeshelds.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    How much work do you want to do after you remove them from storage?
    So far, the best stuff I have found for long term storage is LPS 3. It goes on like WD-40, but after a day or two, it sets to a waxy, greasy, coating. Kind of like cosmoline in an aerosol can.
    That sounds like a real solution for what I was thinking above...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim
    I used it when I knew I wouldn't be working in the shop for quite awhile. Like, over two years.(It ended up being almost three. )It was some work to get it off after that time, but a quart each of lacquer thinner and acetone did most of the work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    If you don’t mind spending the time cleaning it well afterwards I would liberally coat all bare metal with Fluid Film as it will prevent rust and will not dry out, even if things go much longer than three months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

We put everything, including all my tools, into climate controlled storage for four months while between houses. The only cleaning I had to do with the tools was a tiny bit of rust on some and removing bubble wrap marks. The bandsaw, tablesaw w/router table, miter saw, lathe and mortiser ended up in the garage - no climate control. The spindle sander, drum sander and all hand tools ended up in a bedroom converted to my workshop - climate controlled in the summer, opened house in the winter.

I learned very quickly that rust in a Florida climate is a huge problem.

I used several types of "rust preventatives" with little success until I read an article on rust prevention for woodworking tools in FWW. The one that sounded best for me was CRC Technical Grade 3-36. I ordered three spray cans from Amazon. Since switching to CRC TG 3-36, the battle against rust had eased dramatically, almost to the point of nil. If you were looking to coat your tools rather than pay the extra $75/mo, I'd recommend this. But personally, if you own a lot of valuable tools, paying the extra for climate controlled storage might be worth it.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain