Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QSWO Arts &Crafts Mantle/Cabinet

QSWO Arts &Crafts Mantle/Cabinet

Finished this some time back and just never got around to posting it.

QSWO (Quarter Sawn White Oak) Wiping Varnish finish with brown wax to finish it off.

This was a challenge I put off for quite some time. the original brick mantle and seat ran all the way to the wall. Thereby making any sort of cabinet look awkward just sitting there up on the bricks. And, so I thought a built in solution might work but they usually work best with two symmetrical walls or something to provide balance like bookends to the build. Additionally most built in pieces are recessed into the wall so as to sit flush with the wall. The asymmetry of our fireplace wall and the odd brick seat already in place made designing a solution difficult and so I put it off for some time.

Before
    IMG_3322.jpg

Went through many firsts on this project.first time making hand mortised and tenoned doors. Previously doing stub tenons on some cabinet doors a few times.
    First time soldering up some leaded glass.
    First time making complex doors with more than 2 stiles. or 2 rails.

I thankfully found the cove, small crown, and base moulding at my wood supplier in QSWO. So that saved me a fair bit of time on the router table.

One mistake I will not repeat again..

Making such tall doors from 3/4" Material. Next time will be 7/8 or 1". The door stiles bowed and twisted just ever so much(before final assembly ) so that I decided to Laminate some home sawn veneers onto 3/4" BB ply to use for the for panels. Thus to help keep the frames straight. And thus allowing the top and bottom corners to sit flush against the front of the case. The large ply panels are unsightly as they sit proud of the door back. Thankfully its only seen when open, which is rare.

Overall I must say I am really happy with this. The doors work flawlessly and it hides all our cable /receiver/blue ray boxes and just makes the house look so much nicer. Very cozy with a warm fire on a cold winter day. And boy i am glad it got done!. My next project will be a 6 foot wide display cabinet. Also Arts and crafts. The next build will be soo much more manageable in size. Some of the pieces on this build were 10 and 11 feet and were not fun to mill, join, or smooth.

Thx for lookin'

IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg

Really nice work! And it gives me some ideas for an upcoming mantle project.

Did you have to scribe anything to the brick or were the bricks even enough so the columns fit well without scribing?

Very nice! I like the way you tucked the cabinet in that corner. Like the leaded glass in the cabinet too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    So much cooler with the face lift. The leaded glass and the pyramid pulls are a nice touch. That really pulls the room together.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Really nice work! And it gives me some ideas for an upcoming mantle project.

Did you have to scribe anything to the brick or were the bricks even enough so the columns fit well without scribing?

I ended up not scribing the bricks. Tho I planned to originally. In my application I placed the completed columns up there for a day or so and with the way it worked out the wife and I agreed it was not necessary to scribe. I'm pretty nitpicky with stuff and I NEVER even think about it or even notice that detail there. I'd suggest mocking up your build for a day or two and see if it needs scribing or not. It possible some applications may actually look worse scribed depending on the brick pattern. In my case i'm glad I did not scribe.

Wow...nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a beautiful!

And huge improvement over what was and great layout..

EVERYTHING looks Great...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That came out really nice. QSWO is my favorite Oak.

WOW! That looks fantastic! I absolutely agree that scribing was not necessary. It would have looked awful.

Outstanding install, and stellar materials. Lucky to find the trim ready to go! I'm in the middle of making trim for a grandfather clock, and it is indeed a lot of time at the router table. My feather boards look like an M. C. Escher drawing to get it all right. A trim machine would be a nice luxury.

That is beautiful. Very nice work. The design is stunning. Really like it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks for all the kind comments. It means a lot coming from other woodworkers who know how much goes into this stuff for us hobby guys. And I just wanted to post one more picture to showcase Mother Nature's handiwork. its a little hard to capture since any change in the angle of light highlights different areas of the wood. Someone commented on the quality of the materials and have one more pic with better light showing the rays and flecks on the cabinet doors. Just gotta love the natural beauty of wood!

p.s.
    If Anyone is so inclined please visit my post on the design of a new Stickley 3 door buffet project. I have some questions on construction details and would love any feedback from you all. Thx!
    showthread.php
    IMG_2308.jpg

Man that's really pretty.

That is sweet, joel. Congratulations on a really fine look.