Thread: Shallow vs full swan neck

Shallow vs full swan neck

I'm looking to purchase a swan neck tool for the inside of bowls, boxes, etc. I'm looking at the Hunter tools. What is the difference between a shallow and full depth swan neck tool? If I can only afford one swan neck, what should it be?

Personally, I like articulated hollowing tools, but Hunter makes great tools. Get the shallow one first - eventually, you'll want the deeper one as you make bigger/deeper vessels
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a swan neck tool for the inside of bowls, boxes, etc. I'm looking at the Hunter tools. What is the difference between a shallow and full depth swan neck tool? If I can only afford one swan neck, what should it be?
    Tom,

I use different sizes of the swan neck Hunter tools depending on what I'm making. The three piece mini set (one straight, two curved) is my favorite since I like to make small boxes and such, but I do use the large tools on occasion. Which two are you considering? I'd have to look in my drawer, but I think I have the Badger #5 Full swan neck tool, at least I have one with the large tapered shaft. The thing is more massive than it looks in the picture with a 5/8" shaft - very stout tool. I've used it on the curved inside of one box but I usually prefer the smaller tools for boxes. I think it would be great on the undercut opening of a bowl.

Mike Hunter does offer a couple of articulated tools, designed by Mark StLeger. I have them sitting next to my lathe but haven't had time to play with them yet so I can't comment, except to say the large one looks plenty capable for getting under closed openings of a variety of bowls and such. The smaller one might be more suited to boxes. It is beginning to look like it may be October before I can get time to play with them.
    https://huntertoolsystems.com/product/adjuster-tool/

You might give Mike a call and describe what you want to do and see what he recommends.
    http://huntertoolsystems.com/contacts/

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Tom,

I use different sizes of the swan neck Hunter tools depending on what I'm making. The three piece mini set (one straight, two curved) is my favorite since I like to make small boxes and such, but I do use the large tools on occasion. Which two are you considering? I'd have to look in my drawer, but I think I have the Badger #5 Full swan neck tool, at least I have one with the large tapered shaft. The thing is more massive than it looks in the picture with a 5/8" shaft - very stout tool. I've used it on the curved inside of one box but I usually prefer the smaller tools for boxes. I think it would be great on the undercut opening of a bowl.

Mike Hunter does offer a couple of articulated tools, designed by Mark StLeger. I have them sitting next to my lathe but haven't had time to play with them yet so I can't comment, except to say the large one looks plenty capable for getting under closed openings of a variety of bowls and such. The smaller one might be more suited to boxes. It is beginning to look like it may be October before I can get time to play with them.
    https://huntertoolsystems.com/product/adjuster-tool/

You might give Mike a call and describe what you want to do and see what he recommends.
    http://huntertoolsystems.com/contacts/

JKJ
    I'm looking at the #5 or #3. The mini set is a bit pricey and seems limited to smaller projects. I'm mainly looking for something to undercut the edge on bowls and vases, likely on the larger size (8" and up). I'm not sure what is meant by "shallow" vs. "full". Is that related to the depth into the vessel? Or depth sideways into an undercut? And how/why are both needed?

Tom,
    there are more experienced folks on here, but I just purchased a #5 Badger full and after talking to Mike Hunter my understanding is that the full has more of a curve to enable you to get into tighter places. I actually got mine to use on the shoulder of hollow forms and other projects.

Like John suggested you may want to call Mike first...I have always talked to him before buying one of his tools and after discussing the tool use Mike has always steered me in the right direction.

Dave

I do a lot of lidded bowls with undercut rims, as well as teach that subject at JCC. The #5 is perfect for that use.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think a #5 full is in my near future.

I second giving Mike a call. He's a nice guy. He might be headed to SWAT right now, don't know haven't talked to him other than a quick e-mail in a week or more. I'm with John since I own them I have a choice and use the one that best fits the need. If you talk to mike and tell him what and which size vessels you turn he will answer your questions. I also use the #5 a great deal for the bottom of hollow vessels and for box insides. It will reach quite far up the sides of some shapes especially with larger openings.