Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small garage space advice/suggestions

Small garage space advice/suggestions

Hello All,

I think this may be my first post =) . I am working on trying to figure out the best way to layout my home garage shop and thought I would ask the community for advice on placement of tools.

First quick overview of the space : I have a tandem car garage that is split in half between space for the cars and open area. I have essentially started to build out my woodworking space in one of the corners and try and keep it all there. I have space for wood storage, tools, supplies outside of this space so mainly concerned with placement of my tools.

- I would prefer NOT to move my table saw if that's at all possible but its do-able
    - I don't have any central dust collection yet but it's something to think about in here as well.
    - The split between the spaces is open so it's an "invisible wall so to speak.

So here is my space and my initial ideas for the layout
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 12.29.16 PM.jpg

My main floor tools/considerations
    : Table Saw (updating to a hybrid) - The saw right side would be close to the wall and run towards the bench
    : Miter Saw
    : Standing Drill Press
    : Bench
    : Assembly space would be nice

Anywho let me know what you guys think and if I should change my setup at all. Nothing here is set in stone - still just planning

Thanks!!!

The number one thing I'll recommend for any kind of garage shop, especially one that has to still service one or more vehicles is to "stay mobile". That makes for greater flexibility so you can adapt to the needs over the timeline of a project from start through assembly and finishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First thing I would do is get the drill press out of the middle of the room. Maybe at the wall edge of the outfeed table. Set it against the wall, and set the saw out just far enough that the fence face is slightly clear of the post.

Then I would put a WW vise on the outfeed/assembly table, along with a few options for clamping to it. Beef it up a bit if necessary. Make a router table with drawers that rolls under the table, along with a matching cabinet that rolls out to hold benchtop tools when needed.

That's a start.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-20-2018 at 6:17 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My shop is about the same size. One of the biggest things I finally realized was having a miter saw station takes up way to much space. I still have a miter saw, but it stays in the basement. Plus I will echo Jim's advise, keep things mobile and maximize wall space (tools against wall to be pulled out for use).

My first shop was 10 feet by 11 feet. One thing I did was put the saw next to the garage door so that I had to open the door to use the saw - I cut from inside to outside. I made an outfeed table that dropped down when not in use and I had to drop it to close the garage door.

I put my router in the wing of my table saw and put a vise on the end of the table saw. In the shop, I had a miter saw, a lathe, a 14" band saw, a planer, and a drill press in addition to the table saw. There was only room for me to work in the shop.

What I didn't have was dust collection or a jointer. I now have a larger shop and do have those now.

You can fit quite a bit into your space if you are creative.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

have you thought about putting the table saw close to the parking area. by that i mean where the infeed side is approached from the car park area and the out feed is on your work shop side? I have a similar sized area and that is how i have it located now. i have been working on starting a thread about my own layout choices but dont want to hijack yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "stay mobile"
    I have started to put my equipment on casters/carts that I can drop onto the ground when needed. The only real issues with this are that being in a garage, the floor is not nearly level and so anything that needs level would need to be adjusted after any moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    drill press out of the middle of the room. WW vise on the outfeed/assembly table, router table
    Thanks for all the suggestions @Rick. I do have a vise on the bench that is fairly good and several other options for clamping. It's often my assembly. I have had several router table options and just recently took apart my previous one has it took up far too much space. I may add one to the table saw depending on which I get

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    saw next to the garage door

I put my router in the wing of my table saw and put a vise on the end of the table saw. In the shop, I had a miter saw, a lathe, a 14" band saw, a planer, and a drill press in addition to the table saw. There was only room for me to work in the shop.
    Glad to hear you made it work =) . I sometimes do move the table saw to the garage door and use your inside to outside method if it's a nice day =) . Dust collection (even outside) and other factors like the cars and/or levelness make it a little bit of a pain to move the saw around though. Hopefully I can make the most of things!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Radke View Post
    infeed side is approached from the car park area
    This is actually how I've had it setup the last few weeks and it works relatively well. The issue mainly is the lack of a good outfeed (without moving other tables) and cars being in the way sometimes :|

In my one car garage, everything is on wheels - Tablesaw w/router, bandsaw, mitersaw, planer, mortiser, tool and storage cabinets - all stored against the walls. When milling long boards, I can roll the tool out to the center of the garage with enough room left over for me to walk end-to-end. In my last shop, about 10x30, I did the same thing and it worked out pretty well.

The only stationary items are a workbench and lathe but neither restricts milling long boards. The DC is also stationary but out of the way. The more tools you can make mobile, the more flexible your shop will be. Roller supports with foldable legs also help with milling long boards and can be stored out of the way when not in use.

About the only challenge in a small shop is cutting plywood on the tablesaw. I eliminated this hurdle by buying a tracksaw and some sturdy sawhorses. The fact you can pull your car out of the garage will probably eliminate the plywood issue.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

While I don't have a tracksaw (somewhere on my wish list) I second that approach recommended by Julie. The most valuable space in a shop is just that ... space! And a tool you can setup and use when needed and then put away maximizes the benefits of space. For the "home garage shop" that's a great solution.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    In my one car garage, everything is on wheels
    I definitely am understanding the idea of everything being on wheels being great =) While I already felt I would make things mobile I will reconsider some planning I think to make that a focus. I don't plan on adding a whole bunch more tools to my setup in the near future but would like the ability.....especially dust collection and a jointer if possible.

I think ill end up leaving the "miter station" where it is. Since it's actually where all of my storage is up against that wall and the way it's laid out it's the best place for stationary stuff. I'll keep the bench/outfeed on wheels and the table saw on wheels so that they can be moved out of the way kinda like the below. Making room for other "wheeled" equipment in the future.
    I'll likely add a smaller 1HP single phase dust collection system that takes up less space and doesn't require me to move a bin around with me.

Pretty simple =) . Thanks again for all the tips!!

In USE
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.53.42 AM.jpg

Not in USE
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.50.31 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eduardo Fenili; 08-21-2018 at 11:54 AM.

So I got a little more serious about modeling out the garage so that I can plan the space better. Looking at it from this perspective actually makes me feel like I need to rethink storage to give my woodshop more space =)

A few new questions I had for people
    * My garage has cement walls. I plan on patching any areas and sealing the walls and then painting them but have no intention of finishing the walls. The basement area is mostly below ground level so stays relatively cool but I like the temp. I also plan on redoing all the electrical just on the face of all the walls. Any reason why this is a bad idea vs. trying to frame the actual garage.

Thanks again for all the help=)

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.39.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.38.31 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.32.43 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.33.55 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Eduardo Fenili; 08-23-2018 at 3:30 PM.

If you keep the majority of your storage up high on the walls, you free up floor space for use. Yes, you have to "reach" a little farther when you need something, but it does help with the goal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...