Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small garage space advice/suggestions

Eduardo,
    are these the same dimensions as in your earlier drawing?
    (the parking bay looks much longer (?))

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Eduardo,
    are these the same dimensions as in your earlier drawing?
    (the parking bay looks much longer (?))

Matt
    Same space. The original only was the woodshop space, I've decided to model the entire basement now to plan new electrical as well as other tasks

What are dimensions of new model?

The entire garage is around 21' x 42' not including a separate storage space and laundry room towards the back.
    It's split essentially right down the middle and I will be using a 10'x22' ish space for the workshop.

The ceilings around around 7'5" high but there are plumbing, gas and electrical pipes down here that I am trying to map out now. Some of which do drop down up to 6".

Garage.png

Is there a garage door on the shop-side of the basement?

What constraints do you have on the space in the half where the car parks?

Is some of this available for storage? or flex space that can be used when working in the shop?
    (either as outfeed, or to set up temporary spaces?)

Our 2-car garage is share space with shop and parking for one car. I move the car out temporarily when I'm working and set up a temporary table (very helpful to hold boards/parts and my notes!) and also use this space for some tools that are mobile (planer, in particular).

6. Many pros and cons about putting a wall between the parking space and the shop space.
    If you do it then there's no potential to temporarily use the parking space as shop space, on the other hand you get a wall that can have electricity and you can hang cabinets / shelves.
    I would not split that space but if you do divide the length into two sections with a wall I would go ahead and make the parking space 20 feet deep with another wall and either a door or pass through opening.
    I would separate the utility area from the shop with a wall, it will keep that area much cleaner and you get a 16+ foot wall that is dedicated to the shop.
    So the space for the shop would be approximately 10x20 then open to 20x14.
    The parking space 10x20.
    Utility space 6x20.
    depending on where the plumbing is for the utility space you may be able to claim some of that for the shop.

I would not divide the parking area and the shop though.
    Theres no substitute for a big open area to use on a temporary basis.

Awesome suggestions! Currently the car space in the garage is shared space so I can't adjust that space much right now. The space will eventually be just for myself but I wouldn't plan for that currently. I can adjust in the future. I would never build a wall in the front section as carrying in large materials, using that open space with the garage open etc etc all are too valuable to close off.

That being said I could close off middle 1/3 of the garage, essentially where the car sits, and put a wall up in front of it to create a "room" back there which I had planned to use for sporting equipment like bikes etc. The main reasoning I would have for walls is more to keep the dust out of the rest of the garage vs. additional storage....even though that would definitely be a bonus. I hadn't thought about closing off the woodshop from the area that holds the water heaters, furnace, shelves etc etc. I actually really like that idea and will try and incorporate something.

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to layout electrical in the space. Whether or not I should add 1-2 240 outlets for larger equipment and if I should put some in the ceiling for my air filters.

Amazing feedback =)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    Many pros and cons about putting a wall between the parking space and the shop space.
    If you do it then there's no potential to temporarily use the parking space as shop space, on the other hand you get a wall that can have electricity and you can hang cabinets / shelves.
    I would not split that space but if you do divide the length into two sections with a wall I would go ahead and make the parking space 20 feet deep with another wall and either a door or pass through opening.
    I would separate the utility area from the shop with a wall, it will keep that area much cleaner and you get a 16+ foot wall that is dedicated to the shop.
    So the space for the shop would be approximately 10x20 then open to 20x14.
    The parking space 10x20.
    Utility space 6x20.
    depending on where the plumbing is for the utility space you may be able to claim some of that for the shop.

I would not divide the parking area and the shop though.
    Theres no substitute for a big open area to use on a temporary basis.

So modeled in adding walls that separate the storage areas which created a whole bunch of new opportunity =) . I also had some errors in my original model which I have since updated.
    Now the back end of the garage is separated by walls which keeps that area much cleaner and gives the woodshop a much more defined space.

I wont close off the car area but I though I nice way to try and keep the cars clean as well would be to use some heavy curtain so that when needed I can quickly get it out of the way but also close them up to spare the cars some of the dust if possible. I don't get the added benefit of more wall space but I think the open area is preferred.

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 1.07.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 1.08.13 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 1.08.34 PM.jpg

Thanks again guys =) . Once I get my electrical planned out I hope to start with the actual process of getting the space ready in the next few weeks and then can share actual pictures =)