Thread: Useful Leigh DT Jig Tip...

Useful Leigh DT Jig Tip...

Granted, this is something that most probably already know, however it became clear to me just recently. When I first started using my D4 years ago, I used two routers, one for each bit. At that time, I read that this was the way to go.
    I recently broke out the D4 and began working with it again, as I have a use for it on an upcoming project. Problem I was having was that I was getting a gap on the one or more of the tail joints. After a lot of test joints, I found that using one router for both operations was necessary to get rid of the gaps. For some reason, it had never dawned on me that the different runouts in each router, might have an effect. I confirmed this with Barry at Leigh. Just wanted to pass this along with those who might be having issues.
    Here's a pic, dry fit...not perfect, but good enough for me...
    fullsizeoutput_103.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 08-20-2018 at 5:39 PM.

You must hold the router in the same way each time if you want to make it that way. I started out using two routers because I had 34 drawers to make and I couldn’t do them all at once. I thought I could get the bushings centered in the baseplates but I realized it wasn’t happening. I bought two Jasco baseplates and the centering bit. I had to torque down the bushings but afterwards, perfect fitting dovetails.
    Dan

Dan, I'm not that good at precision stuff, so I guess I'll have to stick to one router for now. I may try two Festool routers in hopes that they have less runout, but I'm not holding my breath.

Be sure to use a centering jig to insure that your router's bottom plate and the guide bushing are absolutely centered around the spindle, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Put a magic marker arrow on the top of your router bases and always point them in the same direction (arrow toward jig) when cutting pins or dovetails. It's important to get the best fitting joints. You can center the bit in the bushing and it makes a difference, but sometimes it iisn't enough. Using the router pointed in the same direction every time has solved this problem for me.

Charley