Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: finish for Walnut

Since you are experimenting, try mixing equal parts of BLO, MS or turpentine, and poly. You can add some japan drier if you like. It will give a similar look and feel as Danish oil, but will dry much faster and will be somewhat more durable. Apply with blue towels in very thin coats. The final coat can be sanded in using 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to give a silky smooth final surface. Finish with a coat of paste wax.
    I haven't tried it, but I understand a 50-50 mix of danish oil and poly does about the same.

Hi Michael, I enjoy reading these threads as well. Lots of good learning. I’ve done a number of projects with Watco followed by wax. I use whatever wax I have around....Johnson’s, Briwax, Rennaissance. Haven’t really been able to tell the difference.

If I’m just doing Watco and wax, I do wet sand the Watco up to about 1000 grit...smooth as a baby’s bottom on wood like walnut. And I do let the Watco cure for a week or so before the wax. Also, keep in mind, this is not something you want to do for the inside of boxes, drawers, etc. The oil will smell for decades...BTDT. The inside of things just get a wash coat of shellac.

What about the use of walnut oil on walnut? Seems appropriate. Lol.

This thread alone has so much info that my head is spinning. I don't need this information now, but know I will in the future. Is there a way to save threads to a favorites area for easy access later? I'll either spend hours hunting this down some day, or I'll end up asking the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    What about the use of walnut oil on walnut? Seems appropriate. Lol.
    Each type of oil finish seems to have it's supporters, probably because they get good results. I've tried Mahoney's walnut oil, tung oil, and "danish" oil on woodturnings and the results look the same with the same application. The result with a different application will look entirely different. I use the Watco "danish" oil (BLO/varnish/solvent) on most woodturning snow since the local Ace sells it for an incredibly good price.

JKJ

Yeah, seems like walnut oil would be the right thing, doesnt it? I use walnut oil on things like cutting boards and kitchen tools. It doesnt do anything special on walnut, and since it doesn't dry like BLO or tung oil, it doesnt make for a good finish on furniture or items that need protection.