Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip fence design ?

Rip fence design ?

looking for ideas and input on this Fence design for a Poitras 15 table saw with a BieseMeyer fence . Its what i had and was free .

IMG_2521[1].jpg

i have added a sliding low plate and a lock and cut the length of the T fence down .

IMG_2517[1].jpg

IMG_2520[1].jpg

IMG_2542[1].jpg

would like to see some SLR rip fences and input on the design please

IMG_2543[1].jpg
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-20-2018 at 9:59 AM.
    jack
    English machines

I would move the lever knobs to the outside of the fence. It's too easy to imagine on of those getting in the way, especially for the type of cuts that call for a low fence. Also, I think fences in general should have some type of clamp to lock to the back end of the table. This would be helpful when using feather boards and other hold-downs and jigging.

That's a nice way to get the "low fence" utility with a Biesemeye style fence...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would move the lever knobs to the outside of the fence. It's too easy to imagine on of those getting in the way, especially for the type of cuts that call for a low fence. Also, I think fences in general should have some type of clamp to lock to the back end of the table. This would be helpful when using feather boards and other hold-downs and jigging.
    I think you take a little look you’ll see I drilled the table for a locking location right at the arbor . In my opinion a far better location than the back.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a nice way to get the "low fence" utility with a Biesemeye style fence...
    Thanks Jim it’s not easy making this American T fence Into a sliding Rip plate
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    I think you take a little look you’ll see I drilled the table for a locking location right at the arbor . In my opinion a far better location than the back.
    I think Johnny is talking about moving the kipp levers to the back side of the fence & Having the bolt heads on the blade side of the fence. (if that makes sense) Much less likely you will bump your knuckles on the kipp levers as you pass your hands by them. Pardon the artwork, but something like this:
    IMG_2517[1].jpg
    Last edited by joe milana; 08-20-2018 at 8:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    I think Johnny is talking about moving the kipp levers to the back side of the fence & Having the bolt heads on the blade side of the fence. (if that makes sense) Much less likely you will bump your knuckles on the kipp levers as you pass your hands by them.
    This makes sense to me, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    I think Johnny is talking about moving the kipp levers to the back side of the fence & Having the bolt heads on the blade side of the fence. (if that makes sense) Much less likely you will bump your knuckles on the kipp levers as you pass your hands by them.
    My bad great suggestion. Of course it should be noted that this will never be a hand fed saw it has a 1 hp four wheeler feeder . it is strictly a ripping machine . I could replace the lock handle with an Allen head but hands will never be in there.!Depth of cut is 5 1/2 inches and it be rather scary with the push stick
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-20-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Even so, Jack...reversing those fasteners is one less thing for something to catch on and honestly, there may be an opportunity for someone to use it hand fed with the low fence...that's actually how I use my fence on my slider 90% of the time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Even so, Jack...reversing those fasteners is one less thing for something to catch on and honestly, there may be an opportunity for someone to use it hand fed with the low fence...that's actually how I use my fence on my slider 90% of the time.
    I agree it’s a great idea problem is if I want the plate to slide I’d have to put slots in another location Or come up with an elaborate nut Which is generally not impossible. I do like the idea
    jack
    English machines

Jack, is the purpose of the slots in the angle iron to adjust the location to act as a short Euro style fence or is there another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Jack, is the purpose of the slots in the angle iron to adjust the location to act as a short Euro style fence or is there another reason?
    Yes that is what the slots are for a short position fence
    jack
    English machines

Looks nice Jack, it's really nice to have both a short and long fence.

I use my feeder on the saw with a low fence when I have a lot of strips to cut or I'm using a dado...........Rod.

I agree it’s a great idea problem is if I want the plate to slide I’d have to put slots in another location Or come up with an elaborate nut Which is generally not impossible. I do like the idea
    For the application I speak of...it doesn't slide, other than potentially for placing it so it ends just beyond the blade like you can with a UniFence or almost every fence on a Euro slider. It's just a low version of the fence which can often be easier to work with when ripping thinner stock than the taller fence simply because it gives more clearance for one's hand and push block/stick.
    --

I did notice the out board lock, which I do think would stiffen up the fence and provide some hold down strength. But I do think it would easily be twisted if using vertical feather boards. A mechanism on the tail end of the fence would work better in this situation.