Thread: Gantry vs Galvo Fiber Laser

Gantry vs Galvo Fiber Laser

I'm interested in doing more cutting, and my 50 watt does an ok job, but for some materials, it does take a while, cutting into my profit. Would a gantry style fiber be better, let's say in a 100 watt comparison? My Tykma is my engraver and I can engrave anything (damn near) with it, so this is strictly cutting. Any recommendations for a gantry cutting fiber vendor? Are the Chinese machines as good as their Western counterparts (like the fibers)?

Forgot to add, I'm wanting to cut 1mm brass, copper (yeah I know, heat sink), sterling silver, gold, and silver. I read many threads here regarding the higher wattage fiber lasers, but I'm not trying or want to ever cut 3-4mm metals.
    Last edited by Jacob John; 08-19-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    ...Would a gantry style fiber be better...
    I don't do any metal cutting with either of my fibers, but for all other uses of the Gantry Fiber - NO !!!!!!! Just to be clear on my opinion - HHHHH No!!!!

My Gantry Fiber has it's uses, but speed is NOT one of them! For that matter engraving below surface level will cost you a good amount of your life time.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Most(?) lasers designed for cutting are going to be gantry machines. I may be sounding biased here since I own 2 Triumphs, but unless Sheldrake knows something I don't (about Triumph, all else is a given ), give them a lookie. I'm amazed at the selection of machines they've added to their offerings in just the past couple of years. I just know I'm happy with my machines, and their CS...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle