Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fence Project

Blog Entries
    Hah! Thank you, Mike! I hope so as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick!

Blog Entries
    Installed. We had intended to keep the original posts, but as it would turn out they were a bit too rotted. Infact the 'demo' took about 30 seconds, I pushed lightly and the entire surround broke off of the attachments and fell over. It further disintegrated as it was removed. Being it was a sunday I was a bit limited on posts, so I grabbed some from the local big box and cut them on site. Install took about 8 hours.

I installed by mounting to the surrounding area then reinforcing the mounts, I had assumed the posts were dug in but they were not. The ground had many electrical conduits running around the area so the previous install likely worked to avoid those lines. I decided not to dig. but instead just put large rocks under some of the contact points with the ground and tamped down the soil a bit under them.

The strips along the inside cover the screw battens which hold the slats. There were two holes per, which was visually jarring so I decided to cover them with those small strips. I regret not being able to wipe down all of the finger prints so I'll likely do that on the first day of school. Though, with a minor bit of weathering they were surely disappear.

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-27-2018 at 5:24 PM.

Very nice Brian. If only everyone who walked by would realize the skill and build details that went into that. They will appreciate it, nonetheless. You couldn’t talk them into a brass plate with phone number, huh? You need to work on those selling skills, my friend

Blog Entries
    Thanks Phil! A brass plate...I like that.

"I regret not being able to wipe down all of the finger prints . . ."

Well, truth be told, I WAS going to comment upon how distracting the fingerprints are . . . . . but I will be damned, as I can't find any. Brian, we are all big fans of yours, but I am certain I am not the only one out here who thinks you might, occasionally, be a tad bit too hard on yourself.

Excellent craftsmanship, sir. I hope the people at school have at least a little understanding of the quality of that enclosure.
    Best, patrick

Looks fabulous, and I agree that few will appreciate the skill (design and execution) involved.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents! One thing I do on every project is to email photos to my clients detailing the build, I did so in this case as well. It helps everyone to understand what was involved in the build and my clients enjoy such details. Many people wrote thanking me, which I very much appreciated. It’s also nice, as a crafts person, to be given complete artistic license like I was here.

Im hard on myself as I believe in continuous improvement. So I’m always searching for ways to make something slightly better. I try to take an honest assessment of what I can do better after each phase of each project. Sometimes it’s something immediately apparent, other times much less so.