Thread: First Time Using A CBN Wheel. WOW!!

First Time Using A CBN Wheel. WOW!!

I finally ordered a Spartan CBN Wheel 8" X 180G from Klingspor's for $110.00, not an expensive one for trying out. I was amazed at the difference from the white wheels I have been using for several years. No dust, clean and easy. It trued up perfectly on my grinder using the concave washers.

After reading all of your postings about the CBN wheels, I decided to try one out. What a difference. I can't believe it took me so long.

Glad you like it. I am now at the point where I want to try one based on all the great things I have heard about them.

I didn't know they carried CBN wheels. The Spartan wheel, I am fairly sure comes from Ken Rizza of Woodturner's Wonders, which makes me wonder if they are buying from Ken....

There is dust from the CBN wheels, but it is metal dust. That dust will float in the air for days, just like wood dust.

robo hippy

It says Woodturners Wonders right on it so yes they come from Ken.

Are cbn wheels suited to sharpen the scrapers from Stewart Macdonald luther supplies?
    If life throws you a stump, turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Tinling View Post
    Are cbn wheels suited to sharpen the scrapers from Stewart Macdonald luther supplies?
    I sharpen my StewMac scrapers on a 600 grit 8" CBN wheel on a 1/2 speed bench grinder. Since they use a standard bench grinder, I suspect a coarser grit would work as well.

Yup, they will work fine, and you can burnish a burr on them with a carbide burnishing rod.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Yup, they will work fine, and you can burnish a burr on them with a carbide burnishing rod.

robo hippy
    Ah! That's good to know.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.