Thread: Frames for paintings - tool

Frames for paintings - tool

A photographer friend taught me a "frame mounting" trick many years ago that most folks probably know, but I thought I would share in case some didn't. Fletcher Terry Company makes a number of "mounting products" but one I have found very useful is the point driver. I think there are alternative sources now. It is a very single-purpose tool but quite good at what it does, which is driving a point a fixed depth at a right angle to the surface being attached. The saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" applies here. The only issue is that when needed I am challenged to remember where either the driver or spare points are located.

These frames were joined using the Hoffman dovetail machine which I typically use for face frames but works nicely for this purpose as well (as long as the frames are of appropriate dimension).

Painting2.jpgPainting4.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 08-19-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Nice frames! I like the profile.

Blog Entries
    Nice frames, Bill. Are those paintings on boards or are you using that plywood as part of a canvas stretcher?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Bill: "Here's some frames I joined using a very specialized, exotic, expensive power tool. But forget about that - check out this staple gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice frames, Bill. Are those paintings on boards or are you using that plywood as part of a canvas stretcher?
    The paintings are on a compressed board about 1/4" thick probably made of paper (or asbestos) and had warped quite a bit since being painted 80 +/- years ago. The plywood was used to provide some structure that would flatten the paintings. I thought about acid damage, but the quarter inch separating the painted surface from the board should prevent that. These were painted by my father back before the second world war and I like their "primitive" quality ... and the fact that they were painted by him. They'll get placed on a wall in a family cabin in the Berkshires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Bill: "Here's some frames I joined using a very specialized, exotic, expensive power tool. But forget about that - check out this staple gun!"
    Sorry Dan .. I sense something in my post rubbed you the wrong way. I guess I mentioned the Hoffman because not everyone is familiar with that joinery approach. The 20 year old Hoffman is setup for face frames and to my mind the quickest and easiest way to join frames, so why not use it?

The Fletcher stapler though is amazing for a relatively cheap tool. I used to drive in brads which also works. I suppose one could also rip stop mold and power brad that in. Neither of those approaches is as quick or clean as the staples.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Sorry if that came across wrong, Bill - I meant that jokingly, as I just got a chuckle out of your glossing over of the Hoffman (which seems like pretty cool tool, as well). But I agree - I bought one of those point driver guns, and it makes framing much easier!