Thread: Need your advice

Need your advice

I currently spray my small projects (hand- carved serving trays) with nitrocellulose lacquer from a can (Deft). I spray this over General Finishes water soluble dye stains. I set up a portable spray booth on the steps in the hatchway going down to my basement (shop). This works fine as long as the weather cooperates. However, come winter, I can no longer spray. I am considering changing to Targetcoating's Emtech 6000. Can I spray this in the basement with ventilation during the colder weather?
    Does it "burn-in" like nitro does so I can still do a hand-rubbed finish? Do I need to use a sanding sealer with it?
    Also, I do not have an air compressor.
    Is there a decent electric spray system that would give me professional results? Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, you can safely use/spray water borne products like Target Coatings EM6000, General Finishes products and other similar finishes indoors as long as you use personal protection to keep airborne fines out of your lungs and eyes and have reasonable ventilation to clear the air of again, the suspended fines from the spraying process. I use an air cleaner, too, for the same reason.

As to a spraying system, most of the "electric spray systems" are more aimed at things like house paint and "less critical" finishing tasks. Many folks are very happy with the less expensive HPLV systems like the Earlex for hobby finishing work. They are not terribly expensive, are self contained and are suitable for spraying water borne finishes like you are considering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You will need to adjust your technique. Waterborne products don't behave the same as nitro. Personally I have yet to be happy with a waterborne of any description. If you have to use ventilation anyway, do it a bit better and keep using nitro. Your finishing system isn't broken so fix your working conditions rather than compromise your standard of workmanship. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    You will need to adjust your technique. Waterborne products don't behave the same as nitro. Personally I have yet to be happy with a waterborne of any description. If you have to use ventilation anyway, do it a bit better and keep using nitro. Your finishing system isn't broken so fix your working conditions rather than compromise your standard of workmanship. Cheers
    Even with proper ventilation, using solvent based lacquer "inside" of a home isn't a very good idea....IMHO, of course. My shop is in a detached building and I still have chosen not to use it because of the big expense to properly setup a safe spray booth and the lack of space to do so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No matter how I "fix my working conditions", it means spraying nitro in the basement during the colder months and spending some serious money to do it safely (due to lack of space). I'm not sure I want to go there. So, I guess my other option would be to make the switch to EM6000, get some tech support from the folks at Targetcoatings, and experiment/practice until I understand how it "behaves". Better safe than sorry!
    I thank you for your responses.

I'm with Jim; I do not spray NC finish because of the risk, only WB products. But even with WB products you need to have ventilation, not just to get rid of the overspray but also to remove the VOC's. A respirator will protect you while you are spraying but not after you are done and you don't want those compounds migrating up into your home. The good news is you don't need a lot of exhaust and it doesn't need to be explosion proof. I manage just fine with the 1200 cfm fan from my dust collector, and often spray large cabinets. And don't forget about makeup air. To exhaust air you need to provide for makeup air, too. I open a window on the other side of my shop.

Also, as mentioned, many folks are happy with the Earlex turbine system. If you don't have a compressor and don't want to spend $1000 on a Fuji the Earlex would be a good choice.

John

So if I'm spraying during the winter months, won't the cold air from "open window" ventilation cause spraying issues? Or do I open windows once the spraying is complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Potter View Post
    So if I'm spraying during the winter months, won't the cold air from "open window" ventilation cause spraying issues? Or do I open windows once the spraying is complete?
    It never has for me. There is so much mass in my basement walls that the temp. only goes down a few degress (<5F) while I'm spraying (sometimes for an hour), and rebounds very quickly. I should point out that I have heat in my basement shop, as you should, too, if you want to use WB products because most require at least about 60F to cure properly. I run my shop around 65F, and keep the RH at 55% max in the Summer but it goes down to 35% in the Winter.

To exhaust air you need makeup air. If you don't open a window that exhaust air will come from your chimney (not good) or from upstairs. If there is no source of makeup air there will be no exhaust.

John

Yes, my shop is heated. I just wasn't sure if the temperature drop from opening windows would have an effect on the finish. Thank you for you input.