Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still have some scraps in the bin..

Still have some scraps in the bin..

Pine, mainly. Might be enough to build a simple step stool.....if I can get motivated to work in the shop.

This morning...apparently the dogs wanted me up and out of bed......wound up with a mark on the back of my left hand...."L" shaped, and took forever to get it to STOP leaking all over the place....dang blood thinners. Hand still hurts...not sure I am quite ready to mess with sharp objects, just yet. Not even allowed to mow my yard.....

Will see what I can come up with.....maybe some Walnut wedged tenons? Will see what I can cobble up for the stretcher. And what pattern to cut the legs to.....IF I can avoid a couple big knots along the way. Will see what sort of "details" I can come up with...

Stay tuned...

May take the camera along to the shop, later today. Hand still hurts....

Just a simple, build-a-long project....nothing real fancy, just a way to use up scraps in the shop. Somedays....I wonder why I even bother with this site.....

Going from one project to the next one....I usually try to clean things up, like the tool well..
    IMG_5430 (640x480).jpg
    Made a mess on the floor, after I had swept things out..
    IMG_5431 (640x480).jpg
    Between the healing up leg ( and a few restrictions, yet) and this thing..
    IMG_5432 (640x480).jpg
    Wasn't in the mood to do too much puttering around.
    IMG_5437 (640x480).jpg
    Goodies from the well?
    IMG_5429 (640x480).jpg
    Put the other planes away....had to dust of the 60-1/2 block plane, before it was placed back in the til...
    IMG_5440 (640x480).jpg
    Along with dusting off the rest of the mob...
    IMG_5435 (510x640).jpg
    These will be my "Keeper Saws"...
    IMG_5434 (640x480).jpg
    Most of the ones hanging up, will get tossed out to the curb.

Stay tuned,, more to come...

Ok...I laid out the scrap pine boards I will try to cobble together..
    IMG_5430 (640x480).jpg
    Then decided to clear the decks.....Next trip to the shop, I stash all those goodies back into their places.
    IMG_5436 (640x480).jpg
    My stash of back saws...and clamps. I think I'll hang unto the backsaws....never know when they will come in handy

Floor was swept, cobwebs knocked down, hand was getting sore....time to quit for a while.....need a tall can, to set the "junk" saws in out on the curb....

Stay tuned, IF the hands stops hurting...I might actually make some sawdust...maybe..

Steven, looks like you need a bigger shop or...........fewer tools. Never mind. And as someone pointed out, it's wood dust, saw dust would indicate a problem!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

"Junk saw" are out on the curb..
    IMG_5445 (640x480).jpg
    Found four saws in the mess, that might be worth keeping...
    IMG_5444 (640x480).jpg
    Cleared the bench off...to see exactly what I have for Pine..
    IMG_5446 (640x480).jpg
    Hmm, abit too narrow, and too thin...maybe make a pair of feet?
    IMG_5447 (640x480).jpg
    Longest 1 x 10 scrap I have....3/4" thick....may make this the "top"?
    IMG_5448 (640x480).jpg
    2nd 1 x 10....maybe a glue up? rip the "bad' off of both 1 x 10s, and glue it back together? 1 x 4 as a stretcher....

This being a Monday...and the left hand still sore....shop will be closed for today. Will see how it goes tomorrow.

Will take a look at the two 1 x 10s....see IF there is a way to combine them into a better looking board....without the knots, and the wane, and the pitch pockets....may rip all that sort of stuff off, and see how a glue up would look.

Feet may get a waisted look, a gentle curve in towards the middle. Doesn't need to be much, just enough to be seen. Will see what profile looks better at the "leg's" bottoms, where they will rest on the floor...Stretcher may be a through-tenon, about halfway up.....will add a wedge to that...to match the ones in the top. have to wait and see...whether two tenons through the top, or three? Center and one on each edge....or just wider pair from the edges in? Corners of the top will be rounded. Hmmm, Walnut for wedges?

Just a stool to give someone a bit more reach around the house. Top shelves tend to be a bit too high, in some places....8" high stool should be easy enough to step up on, and step down from.

Stay tuned.

Is that an old Craftsman 3-wheel bandsaw??
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Yep, and still runs nicely. Kind of a "Back-up plan" for the next time the main bandsaw goes down.

Found out that Dirt Devil makes a belt for one of their sweepers.....that is a perfect fit for the wheels on the 3-wheeler.

So Cool! I have the same one, bought it with the 4 1/8" bench top jointer many years ago, perhaps 1982? It still runs like new. They were the first 2 machines i bought new, made me a true Power Tool Woodworker
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Bought that saw back in the 90s...$90 at a garage sale. I might put a narrow scrolling blade on it, sometime.....better cuts the a sabre saw..

Van is fixed. Hand? not yet...still wants to leak. Blood Thinners tend to do that.

Had a Gulley-washer come through this evening ( and a Tornado Warning..) and now I have a creek running across the shop floor......shop is closed.

Must be Monday....

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has worked out the details, and a plan has been formed.

Waiting on the shop to dry out, today.....before I venture back down there.

Almost dried out in the shop...
    IMG_5451 (640x480).jpg
    Decided to cut the one plank to length...
    IMG_5449 (640x480).jpg
    Yeah, cut from the same board??? We have ways..
    IMG_5450 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 3c
    IMG_5452 (640x480).jpg
    Faces of the two needed cleaned up..
    IMG_5453 (640x480).jpg
    Then I find the center points, draw a few curvy lines, bandsaw to cut the lines, and some not so curvy lines..
    IMG_5454 (640x480).jpg
    Hey....both pieces match! These will get a startecher between them..
    IMG_5455 (640x480).jpg
    Need to cut some more tenons. All of which will get a Walnut wedge. through tenons + wedges = means I have some mortises to chop...maybe tomorrow.

Still had to boards to mill...stay tuned, BRB.

Had 18 photos, try to get 8 at a time....anyway, had two boards to cut down..
    IMG_5456 (640x480).jpg
    This had two "issues"..
    IMG_5457 (640x480).jpg
    That pitch pocket had to go, and this knot, as well....the other board?
    IMG_5458 (640x480).jpg
    Wane, remains of a knot, and yet another pitch pocket....cut a few lines...
    IMG_5459 (640x480).jpg
    These are the scraps. Jigs and such can use them...
    IMG_5460 (640x480).jpg
    Bandsaw rips about as straight as I do with a handsaw. Back to the plane, again..
    IMG_5462 (640x480).jpg
    There are two pieces in the background, and there were "jointed" first. I simply stacked them up, and planed the third piece.....the stack never moved...
    IMG_5463 (640x480).jpg
    The longer piece was trimmed down to length...and a squared end, to boot..
    IMG_5464 (640x480).jpg
    Already for clamps and glue....stay tuned...

Clamps and glue...
    IMG_5465 (640x480).jpg
    Couple scraps to hold things steady. Mock up of the legs?
    IMG_5466 (640x480).jpg
    Then the stretcher between them. Round the corners here and there.

Nice little evening in the shop. Spot on the back of the left hand has a touch of infection.....have the goop to apply for it...will see how that turns out.

Need to chop a few mortices, and cobble some wedges....maybe tomorrow? Stay tuned..