Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection on old Powermatic 77

I'm at a standstill, I can't find a part I need. The intake on my DC has a 'hub' I'll call it, with three couplings angling out, and I need just one intake pointing straight out. Anyone know where I can get different style intake hubs? Mine would need a 5 7/8 ID, is that a standard size for dust collectors?Untitled.png
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 08-27-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    WoodsShop

You could take Item No 6 off and replace it with an MDF disc with the fitting of your choice glued to it. If you build up the face opposite the impeller for the pipe a little you can radius the edge facing the impeller for a slight improvement in airflow.

Just remove the (nearly useless) three-way and there will be a larger flange behind it as per the diagram. Measure that to determine what size duct will fit or need to be adapted to fit and go from there. It's probably 6-8", depending on the specific machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Right on Jim, say, is a 3 HP system enough to go to a 5" hose? If it is, what do I do about the 4" exhaust port on my 15" planer, use a reducer for that?
    WoodsShop

The system theoretically has the capacity to support duct work that is the size of that larger flange. 5-6" is generally a good connection size for a planer and you can reduce right at the tool to match the 4" port if you don't want to engineer a larger port. The larger the duct/hose, the more air that can move through it at a given velocity and the more air that's moving means more dust/chips are moved with it. DCs operate on air flow.
    --

The OD for that inner flange is 5 7/8", do they make a coupler for that size?
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    The OD for that inner flange is 5 7/8", do they make a coupler for that size?
    6" "something" probably slips right over that...hose/duct, etc.
    --

I'll be using pipe not hose, I guess I can put some weatherstripping around it to make a tight seal. I'm going to go out and get all the pieces now, appreciate all the help!
    WoodsShop

Thanks again for the help and advice, so nice having good dust collection on the table saw! As soon as the shark guard arrives I'll be all set.
    WoodsShop