Thread: Finishing Question

Finishing Question

I'm working on a hollow sphere with piercing. After the hollowing and turning the outside of the sphere I sanded using a beeswax/mineral oil mixture that I often use. It cuts down the sanding dust and I like the soft, natural finish. Then came the piercing...and this was my first attempt. Using a Dremel and a 3/32 burr I made some slip-ups where the burr was raised too high from the pierced hole and skipped across the surface leaving a shallow groove. I decided to sand the sphere to hopefully remove those grooves. I'm done sanding the sphere, but the pedestal stand and captured ring have not been sanded (that would be a big pain because of the captured ring and beads in the stand. My question is, is there some way to remove the beeswax/mineral oil like a solvent? I now plan on spraying lacquer for a finish. This was done one piece so the pedestal stand and captured ring are part of the sphere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner or acetone, possibly citrus solvents as well will remove wax and most of the mineral oil. Apply a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac and then apply lacquer.

Richard, Alan's post is correct, but for future reference you might consider avoiding wet sanding with anything that contained wax and/or mineral oil. Neither are very friendly to most of the finishes we use as turners. Mineral oil never really cures and wax under a finish is not a good thing. Getting it out of the pores of the wood will be difficult.

I wet sand, but I do it either with mineral spirits or WOP thinned with MS. I don't typically use lacquer as a finish, but if I did I would avoid the WOP.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Alan, thanks for the advice. After waiting several days for someone to reply I decided to wipe the piece with lacquer thinner and do some sanding (dry). I then sprayed with shellac and everything worked out OK.

John, the beeswax/mineral oil WAS intended to be the finish...nothing over that. If you haven't tried the mixture I highly recommend it as a finish, not as a base for finish. Hopefully this picture will show. New computer and learning curve are testing me. See what I mean? Sorry, don't know how to rotate.

IMG_0436.jpg

JKJ EDIT: rotated image

__rotated.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-30-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: photo

Too late to the party but I use mineral wax and beeswax only on items intended to be used in the kitchen. Most of my finishing is now rattle can lacquer and I wet sand with paint thinner. It doesn't dry very quickly but with a quick wipe with a paper towel the lacquer goes on just fine.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The biggest issue I have with mineral oil is that it never truly dries, it just sinks in. If I were looking for an oil and wax blend I would probably use walnut oil instead. I do tend to avoid wax and oil or wax and finish blends, since I find that the mixtures don't add the qualities of the 2 products; it averages them out instead. Results are much more predictable when layered sequentially.