Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitered frame and panel table top question

Mitered frame and panel table top question

Just read this nice article by Wilbur Pan
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...iture-overview

He showed this nice tabletop with mitered corners. I thought that type of top was basically impossible to build without veneer. Were is the expansion taking
    place?

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w.../Figure-9a.jpg

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't build a table like that for the obvious reason of wood movement, despite how nice it looks. It's not "impossible" to do, but there is great risk with joinery like that, even if the center panel is veneered, stable sheet stock. The wide aprons will still expand/contract, so how those corners are put together gets "interesting" to make sure they don't crack apart. IMHO, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Once you learn how to walk on rice paper you can things others can't do.
    Young grasshopper

It's clearly a succesful attempt at rustic. Thanks to wood movement! You like the table in the photo....full speed ahead!

That table is from 17th century and is solid wood according to the article, thus the question of how to build something in that style and have it endure 400 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    That table is from 17th century and is solid wood according to the article, thus the question of how to build something in that style and have it endure 400 years.
    The answer is simple. To avoid movement at the mitres, keep the table in a climate controlled environment, and away from heat or moisture. A dry climate would be best Make sure that the wood is acclimatised to the surroundings before construction, and then do not move it far from this. Easy

Regards from Perth

Derek

Some woods just don’t change much if any with humidity changes. Around here I know several people who use mesquite and construct like that with no problem. Don’t think I would.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

It appears as though the corners are glued with the center being left to float like a typical frame and panel design. Notice the seam in the middle.

1. stable wood

2. stable environment

3. solidly built frame joints w/ mitered mortise and tenon that survive panel expansion

4. Any panel expansion has been contained by a well built frame. Any shrinkage, which may have followed compression set, shows in the slightly open joints between boards and between the panel edge and frame.

If I were building this design with the woods available to me the center panel would be thick veneer, but the surviving examples of Ming tables prove that it can be done in solid wood.

Blog Entries
    That is impressive. I would shy away from such a design for the obvious reasons. The maker undoubtedly had knowledge of his materials and conditions learned through generations of experience. I imagine if you took that piece to somewhere inclement or very humid, things could go very wrong even after 4 centuries.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We could also be seeing a photo of that table taken at max humidity/expansion. If it was built with just a bit of room between planks, it could easily expand and contract within a certain range and be in good shape.
    JR

An old antique Chinese table , did not suspect that! I do know the chairs when I see them.

I don’t think the table is 400 years old. I’m not a believer
    Aj

Andrew, I can't vouch for this particular photo, but I have several books on Ming era furniture depicting similar tables with flush panels in mitered frames. Believe it. https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/42734

I have been wanting to make a table like that where the legs also miter into the miter of the frame and panel top or a three a way mitered joint.

I hadn’t given much thought to the the joints opening up to be perfectly honest.

I actually ran into this table by mistake just a couple weeks ago at a Bonsai nursery near to me. It’s not exactly what I’m thinking but pretty darn close.

I’m not sure exactly how old the table is but it is in a space that is not climate controlled in the north easy where the climate and namely humidity fluctuates drasticly.

I’m thinking so long as there is actual proper joinery of the Japanese style everything should be just fine?

I could be completely wrong?

F8DE12FD-C696-4A15-AE31-BC0CD5ADA948.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 08-19-2018 at 9:33 PM.